1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove 3100 miles and saw lots of Prii

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sutherlin12, May 16, 2006.

1. sutherlin12

sutherlin12 New Member

My girlfriend and I recently left Oregon and went on a three week, 3100 mile (3089.0 to be exact), road trip through most of California. Since I've owened my first Prius we've always played a little game of counting the other Prii we see. During our trip we saw 660 different Prii. Our best day was 98, most of which we saw on the way from Long Beach to Universal City. Our second best day was 97, when we drove from Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz. Silver was by far the most common color, but we think (we didn't actually keep track of the colors) blue was the next most common, followed by red, then black.

I only saw one other Prius with the "Gas Electric Hybrid" decals and that was May 10th, in San Jose on CA85 just before Cander Ave., at about 6:11 PM. So "hello" to whom ever that was.

We were actually quite amazed by the large numbers. Often we saw three or four Prii traveling in
    "pods" like dolphins. When we go on road trips here in Oregon, we usually only see three to five a day.

And oh, we averaged about 47 MPG going mostly freeway with the air on the whole time.

2. Schmika

Schmika New Member

There getting so common....I guess I need to get rid of it and find something more rare...Like a Hummer..NOT!!!!!!

3. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got excited when you said you saw one other one with the "Gas Electric Hybrid" decal, thinking it was me, but then I saw the location you posted.. wasn't me! I was all over so-cal this weekend, and I saw so many, they are everywhere! Everytime I go down there I am just so shocked by the large numbers. The area I saw the most? Near Venice Beach... they were literally flooding the streets! I normally get excited when I see another Prius driver, and wave or something, or if a friend is in the car I say "PRIUS!", but this weekend I got tired of constantly saying it, yet my friends then were addicted to sighting them, and kept pointing them out.

What a fun trip that must have been!

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't believe the numbers I see just in the SD area. LA is even more congested with them. Their unique design makes them easy to spot.

One little Silver Prius was (partially) responsible for a slow down on the 94 west this morning. Pretty crumpled up back end but I don't think there was any glass broken. Could not see the front end but I did see a very concerned owner. We (me and the rebel) felt very bad for him....

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My wife and I just returned from a trip to Disney World. A total of 2760 miles. On our trip from SE Wisconsin through Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida we did not see as many Prii as you did. But each one was noted each time we saw one. We saw maybe 5 a day tops. I appears the West Coast is leading the use of the Prius. Come to think of it there was a thread here recently which pretty much documented that. We got 46 miles per gallon for the trip. It was also mainly highway miles using cruise control and limiting our maximum speed to 65mph. Oh and Mickey says hi.

Cheers