1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove Home 06 With 144k Today/Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joeman, Feb 26, 2014.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, I know some of you may have seen my two recent post.
    I test drove car this past Sat, and had it checked out by a Reputable Garage two days ago. Bought it today.
    Car drove great everything seemed fine, getting a little use to it, the 02 I had sometime ago was a different animal. Of course, like this one much better.
    The recent garage said 12 volt battery needs replacing, didn't see anything to indicate it.
    Noticed in sellers records , battery was replaced in Jan of 2010, hey maybe it is time.
    I read on a thread on here that you can use a internal method with the car that will let you know where you stand, when it comes to checking battery charge.
    Anyone had any results with that ?
    The other thing , what's the position of the gear selector , just before you put the emergency brake on when parking?
    Where should the tire pressure be at?
    Thanks,

Woops, I see you put it in park like most cars.
    I saw Park, when in car , but i felt like it was not in.
    Apparently it was.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What type of battery is in the car? OEM Toyota? Someone will probably respond with how you can check the health of the battery. There's a video somewhere. It involves pressing the display button on the MFD and turning on and off your headlights 3 times. On the menu, you would need to check the "signal check" or something like that.

Many put the tires at maximum to get the best mpg. I don't go crazy with it, I believe most have it at 42 front and 40 rear.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i wouldn't bother with the 12v unless your experiencing issues. i like to put her in neutral, then hit the emergency brake, let off the foot brake to make sure it doesn't move, then park, then off. i tun my tyres at 42 front and 40 rear. all the best!(y)

4. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't really see the battery to well, it's a white body and black top.
    Can most garages accurately text the battery?
    Should I rotate the tires myself, front to back on same side, every 5k or is that too often.
    Is it easy to lift car for that with hydrolic rolling jacks?

Met a guy recently in a 2013 Prius, we talked about the car.
    He said he bought it for his wife, but she couldn't understand why it was cutting off, so now he gets to drive it.
    Hahaha, true story.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't trust a shop on the battery. of course they can do it as well as you, but that's no guarantee they will. either change it for peace of mind or wait until it shows signs of failing. yes, you can rotate the tyres properly with a hydraulic jack or the scissors jack that comes with the car. 5,000 miles is correct. my wife's hairdresser bought a hycam, and when it shut off at the first stop on the way home, she turned around and traded to a regular camry. took a beating too.

6. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your right , will wait for signs on battery, what would be some of the early signs.
    Funny about the car, and trading it.
    I have the package 2, apparently no back up camera, or I haven't found it, not a biggie.

7. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Every part of the design of the interior is so thought out.
    The courtesy lights, the shape, the color scheme, the dash and instruments
    Do the newer Prius still have that feel, or have they gone too soft and plush?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you had the b-u-c, it would come on when you shift to reverse. the gen III is still the same interior wise, but with less storage and the flying bridge in between the seats. the 12v affects just about everything in the car. if anything changes, that's your goto source.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Package #2 - $825
    Rear camera parking distance sensors; Smart card/smart key; includes central locking ; includes ignition starter; Card key power locks; Audio system (reads MP3 format);

You should have a rear camera

10. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyway, welcome onboard and enjoy your new toy. Have fun.
    You will not regret. Read more on this forum to know more of your baby.
    Star saving money for the gas.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dim headlights, slow windows are signs of a weak battery. Weird random problems/idiot lights are another. The interior lights don't come up & the door doesn't automatically unlock followed by the car not booting up is a sure sign.

If the car won't boot up, try three times. If it works drive to store to buy a battery. If the shop wants "a lot" to install it then DIY.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Joeman, follow the instructions shown here to run the "internal" 12V battery test.
    Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Remember to make sure the car has been off for several hours, at least, before the test (best to do it first thing in the morning) and have all other electrical accessories off (fans stereo etc). Also, remember to make all three of the voltage measurements mentioned in the linked post.

13. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Changed all spark plugs today, bit of a challenge getting the plugs out, after they were loose.I think they make a special spark plug socket that helps hold the plug in the socket on the way out. I used a piece of clear tubing to push onto top of plug and pull out. Plug gaps were not too far off, goes without saying, new plugs make a difference. Below are two of the four plugs.
    I changed transaxle/inverter fluid today with Toyota World Standard, drain plug was a bit hard to remove. I went out and bought a 3/8 drive with a metric size 10 (hex type, sort of a short straight Allen wrench)to fit inside the drain plug.
    Used a old ratchet and a extension bar, and it broke loose. I am sure the fluid was original , it was a dark ruby red. That color, that deep and so thick, you can't tell me that's a lifetime fluid and you never have to change it, Guess dealers just want to sell you a new Prius.
    Everything feels better about the car, better gas mileage and all. image.jpg

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Buy the way uart, thanks for the post about the 12 volt battery test.

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds goods joe. Those plugs didn't look too bad. Hard to tell if they were replaced on schedule (about 120k miles) or if they're original, those iridium plugs hardly seem to wear much.

Yeah I'll bet the fluid was original. With the high cost of transmission repairs it was absolutely the best thing you could do for the car to change that out. Did you happen to notice what the drain plug looked like when you removed it? There's a magnet on the inside and you can tell a lot about the health of the fluid by looking at how much gunk it's holding. You don't (or shouldn't) see metal particles as such, but it does tend to accumulate a ferromagnetic greasy sludge like this:

Attached Files:

16. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I would have noticed if there was anything on the magnetic plug.
    Could have been a little. good point. I think I will change fluid again every 30k
    I'm thinking I will rotate my tires myself, do you just move them front to back on same side?
    I have read a little bit on here about PVC valve, maybe I will clean or change that soon.

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, in the future you could use a 5/8" spark plug socket that contains a black rubber insert to hold the spark plug in place and also reduces the chance of damaging the porcelain tail.

Regarding tire rotation, you can move them from front to back and vice versa. However if you notice that one shoulder of a tire is wearing more than the other, it is OK to cross-rotate the tires, assuming you are not using uni-directional tires. At that point the front wheel alignment should also be corrected.

18. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius , a great car...

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 06 has a recent main hybrid battery replacement(from toyota dealer), so not too worried about dealing with main battery any time soon.
    Was just curious is the technology in this new battery much better than the original hybrid battery that came with car? Also as far as 12 volt battery for this car, what is the best replacement battery , best bang for bucks?