1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove the C Max and the new Fusion Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Fiddlesticks, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Fiddlesticks

Fiddlesticks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am hoping to get a C 4 at some point in the near future. In the meantime, I continue to over- analyze my decision and keep looking at what else is available.

I cross-shop based on what I like, not necessarily on what compares in each class. Also, my Dad retired from Ford so I can get Z plan pricing on Fords.

(I've looked at Fiesta/like the outside not the inside)

Anyway, curiosity got the best of us and my son and I dropped in Ford and they had the new C Max and the just-of-the-truck new Fusion Hybrid. Both at 47 mpg I think.

The Fusion was an SE with all kinds of upgrades. Sticker was $36+. I don't recall the C Max sticker because, honestly, it isn't really in the running because I want a sunroof that operates.

I don't know enough of the technology behind hybrids but they both drove more like "regular" cars than the Prius. (Have some driving experience with a Gen II) They are both really quiet compared to my current Forester and the husband's F150.

The C Max felt more like my current auto. Seat heaters have a dial with 5 settings. Seemed pretty room. Drove great and didn't feel it struggle at all. Highway and city streets. I did notice the front dash area seems pretty deep.

The Fusion loses space in the trunk with the battery but more of a hump than anything. Keeps you from folding flat. (Seats do fold down) Seat heaters have a touch button - 3 levels. Nice dash layout and sound system seemed pretty clear (Sony). Sunroof has a one touch and can stop at any place. Both front windows are auto down.

I'm not sure how we did on the drive with MPG because we couldn't figure out the different screen reports at that moment.

My 21 year old son said, "I like the way this car drives" - and then "Never thought I'd say that about a hybrid". (He drives a VW GTI)

We started having braking score contest (he won) and he got pretty upset when he "lost a leaf" on the screen that shows how well you are driving. Gotta say, I love the leaf thing. It's easy to understand and fun.

They both are a bit larger than where I hope to be but they both seemed like they would be contenders for anyone shopping for a hybrid.

I wouldn't say either drive was "fun" but they were solid. For me "fun" is smaller cars (MINI, Fiat, Miata - zippy I guess)

The salesman did say they stay on the lot about two days so glad we drove them while we could.

2. CAlbertson

CAlbertson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I think our next car might be a something like a C Max or a Prius V. But neither of those cars compares to a Prius C. The "C" is intended to be a small "commuter car" that is best used for someone who has a 15 to 25 mile commute to work twice every day. It is not a great car for short 1 to 3 miles trips from home to the store not is is a good family car. Short <2 mile trips just "kill" the Prius C's gas mileage. So I'd not compare a "C" to a C Max. But I like them both and when our bigger car needs to be replace in a few years I'm hoping the plug-in technology will be cost-justified.

I could not justify buying an "over $30K" car that gets only 47mpg when I can get a "C" that gets 57mpg for $19K. What I did was add up the price of the car plus the price of all the fuel the car would burn in 6 years and then compared the totals. The Prius C was the first Hybrid that won. No "over $30K" car wins in total cost yet.