1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove the Prius in "B" - did I do any damages?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mirgil63, Jan 4, 2014.

1. mirgil63

mirgil63 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove the Prius with the sales guy (he's from Dodge dealer and admitted not knowing much about the car) . He told me to put it in "D" and drive..all was good. I asked what's the "B" for and he said it's for battery mode and for mostly city drive when you are driving under 45mph. I switched to "B" and it was OK...maybe a little sluggish. I drove back to the dealership for about 10 mi in "B" mode. 3 days later I bought the car. After watching the DVD latter that night after bringing the car home I've learned what the "B" is for...slowing down the car on long downhills (like the jack brake on Big Riggs) . The manual says in "B" mode the car will use more fuel to slow it down. The question is - Have I done any damages to the car - ? Thanks to all of you

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No. B just increases the regen/engine braking when you let off the gas and does engine braking when you brake. When you're pressing on the gas, it should be exactly the same as D, like accelerating or cruising. It won't hurt anything, but the only time it makes sense to use is down long hills.

3. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Battery mode." LOL, awww.

GrumpyCabbie and sdtundra like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only damage would be to the MPG score of that trip.

The car is smart enough to not allow physical damage from mis-shifts. 'B' is OK at any speed, and doesn't even change anything until you want to slow down. Attempts to shift to 'R' or 'P' at highway speed will simply go neutral with a double beep warning. At low speed, 'P' will engage the Park position with a severe jolt, but only when moving slow enough to not damage the car.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    geripsy likes this.
  6. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    make me laugh :D...
    "B"attery mode, is not correct?

I remember know, the salesman whom served me testing Prius. gave me a "blank" face when I point to "what is B for", he just knew "P", "R", "D", and "N".

7. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    engine "B"raking would be closer.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe as most, that for that short a period of time you are probably fine.

Wow...you bought and test drove a Prius from a Dodge Dealership?

Everyone I know that owns a Dodge...hates Prius.
    You probably got a really good deal, just because I don't think Dodge dealerships even want a Prius on the lot. Like throwing a poodle in with a bunch of Rottweilers.

Oh well, 4 years ago I test drove a New 2009 Prius at a Toyota Dealership, and the Toyota Salesman didn't know what "B" was for...telling me essentially the same thing.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Far as I know it increases engine braking and decreases regen braking.

The object being to delay full recharge of the battery as long as possible, on a long down hill road. Once the battery's fully charged (as far as the car will allow) subsequent braking will use the brake pads, possibly overheating, if the hill's really long.

10. canta

canta Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    B for Braking is a commonsense on Hybrid.
    as I freshly jumped to Hybrid from regular old ICE engine, I did not have understanding "Braking" on shift-gears.
    All that I knew; were D,N,R or manual stick gear :D/
    I had to read the manual to understand what "Braking" is for.

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Someone at Toyota was to honest to call it L, as it does not involve any Lower gears. But you use it when you would use L. (almost never)