1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drove through car wash, now malfunction EDIT is was debris in the throttle from the oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by RogerBonus, Sep 29, 2016.

1. RogerBonus

RogerBonus New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took the prius Gen II through a "touchless" car wash, 30 seconds after I drive out warning light illuminates, engine dies. Crawl back to home (only couple blocks) on battery. Leaving it overnight to see if it dries and regains life, otherwise it will have to be towed to the dealer, which will make a very expensive car wash...motto: do not take your Prius gen II through a touchless car wash.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a Gen2 you do not want to discharge the HV battery ...you need the gaso engine to charge it up.
    Gen2 will allow complete discharge of the HV battery, which is not good for an older battery. I do not know why the car wash hurt the ICE but you might want to check under the hood air filter etc. You could also check rear compartment /12v for water but it sounds like something under the hood.

I don't do the car washes, but the issue can be when in Neutral the HV batt does not charge and that can lead to low battery.

Sounds like your HV battery may be low so turn off A/C and do not drive too much at all unless the engine comes on. Sounds like the car is in a vulnerable position so take caution.

3. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I take my Gen 2 through a touchless car wash once a month. Never any issues.

Do you remember which warning light illuminated? Was it a check engine sign, a red triangle, Vcc... Prius has several different lights that come on in different situations.

Engine not starting can be any number of things. Could be your throttle body needs a good cleaning, could be your coolant pump is going and with all that hot water being sprayed at the car the temperature got to dangerous levels faster... I'm sure there's other conditions. If it happens again you definitely want someone to run a computer diagnostic on it, so if you don't own your own miniVCI and don't know a hybrid-aware independent mechanic, the stealership may indeed be your best bet...

kenoarto and valde3 like this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I run mine through a touchless wash once a month too. It's one of those where you pull the car in, stop it and then the machinery moves around the car. I always put the car in "Park" as opposed to "Neutral" and have not had any problems.

I'm inclined to believe the problem is not directly related to car washes.If water is the problem a few thousand Prii a day would be shorting out in rainstorms.

#4 srellim234, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    kenoarto likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius is vulnerable to hybrid battery damage in pull-through car washes, due to:

1. The inability for the car to be left in Neutral when off.
    2. Extended sitting with the car on in Neutral can drain the battery.

srellim234 likes this.
  6. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're right. that's why I only use a car wash where I stay in the car and the car is stopped while it is washed.

drysider and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put it in neutral like they tell you to. If you're worried about your HV pack discharging too much while you're in there, make sure your AC is off for the duration. That's what I do. And again, no issues.

8. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're overthinking this. Routinely coasting towards stop lights in neutral to deliberately disable regen braking can drain your battery. Going through a 1-2 minute pull through car wash in neutral isn't an issue. If neutral was that dangerous, it wouldn't exist on our gear shifts.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kate - Put it in neutral like who tells me to? It's a self serve car wash where I key in an access code and enter the wash. There are no attendants, the car doesn't move during the wash. There is absolutely no reason for the car to be left in neutral and, in fact, it is probably more dangerous to leave it in neutral without the parking brake engaged than it is to have it in Park or turned off.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the kind of car wash where the car's pulled through, it gets REAL interesting in Park, lol.

RCO, kenoarto and Merkey like this.
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If the op would come back and say if he left the car in acc it would make sense, or possibly the 12v chose that moment to die, but I'd charge the 12v before calling a dealer.

12. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my 12v die on me actually. It doesn't stop the ICE suddenly like that. It spent a week or two beeping extra beeps at me every time I powered the car up and, if I remember right, every time I locked the doors and then eventually it got to the point where sometimes I'd have to hit the power button several times to get it to start. Replaced it with the Optima YellowTop.

I'm an utter loss as to how you guys went from the ICE not coming on to a discussion about the HV pack getting drained, too. The HV pack getting drained is certainly extremely bad but wouldn't directly affect the ICE. Inverter failure would be a lot more relevant.

RCO likes this.
  13. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Kate - I can't respond on behalf of others but I only responded to the OP, who clearly blamed a touchless car wash for his problem with not only his description as to the timing of his problem but also the quote "...motto: do not take your Prius gen II through a touchless car wash."

A touchless car wash did not cause his problem.

Kate Harvest likes this.
  14. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I take mine thru a machine car wash about once a week or more if I have a hot date. The only problem I had was the first one I went thru I didn't know how to get the car to stay in Neutral and when it tried to pull my car thru in park it stopped the entire car wash and the guy had to teach me how to shift to neutral in a prius. Sounded like I wasn't the only one that didn't know how to shift to N in a prius. lol

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: if you're regularly running your car through a car wash, never washing by hand, you will be neglecting the wheel wells and other corner areas, missing scratches and dings.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem is when you people talk in absolutes.
    Such as "Never" take it through a car wash.

If you've had a bad experience? You are going to think you can't and shouldn't.

But the truth is, with a little common sense, and vigilance to a few factors...primarily HV battery charge and health, IT is possible to use an automated car wash, drive thru...or touchless.

If you aren't comfortable doing so? Don't do it.

RCO, DonDNH and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours goes through a pull-through car wash at the dealership, every year or two when it's in for a recall or similar, survives.

18. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wash mine pretty often as I'm one of the near tidy clean persons from exterior to interior keeping it like new. I started off going through those automated ones and realize those are just too rough on the paint and makes me feel lazy as well. I now do it the old school way by doing it myself with a power washer and use microfiber towels. Never had a problem. I doubt your issue had anything to do with your carwash as it seems like it was some kind of malfunction going on that happend around that time.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  19. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also sounds like it could be running out of gas or another engine failure. The carwash could be completely coincidental. Have the codes read and post back if you'd like some additional help.

20. RogerBonus

RogerBonus New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got it back from dealer: debris in the throttle body. The oil change place I took it to just before the free car wash checked the air filter and dropped a bunch of shit in while doing so. So blame not the car wash, blame the oil change monkeys.

RCO, Lucifer, wjtracy and 2 others like this.