1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drunk Drivers!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Feb 18, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yesterday on my way home from work, i stopped at a roundabout to wait for traffic to clear and was rear-ended by a GMC jimmy (i thought it was a jealous road rage incident by someone returning from the gas station). i got out, attempted to get info from him and right away realized he had just come from the bar.

i called 911, he jumped in his car and left, but being as i was a few blocks from downtown, the cops pulled him over a few blocks away. the damage to my vehicle appears to be relatively minor despite the fact that he hit me pretty hard (he barely touched his brakes before hitting me) the back bumper is scratched up a bit, and the part of the bumper that wraps around to the side is popped out but i popped in the other side so hoping that the clips are still ok. also have a nick on the bumper corners on both sides

Attached Files:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is terrible. I hope he gets hit hard for drinking and driving. I have ZERO tolerance for that kind of behavior.

Hopefully the back valance wont have to be repainted. Aftermarket paint sucks 905 of the time. :( Good to hear you were not hurt though.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    aw dave... sorry you've been having such bad luck with your car(s)! at least they nabbed the drunk and that should definitely hold up in your favor.

well let us know how things pan out this time...

4. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CUT HIS HANDS OFF. That is my solution to dealing with drunk drivers...

But you are fine...

I would be interested to know how it turns out; How YOUR insurance is affected being that this is the second no-fault accident in 6 months; and What you settle on in the end for your "out of pocket expenses"

5. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2006 with similar damage cost $800 to repair. I had a cracked rear bumper and a cracked rear taillight.

Sorry your Prius was hurt, glad you are ok. Good luck.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Feb 18 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]392444[/snapback]</div>
    well no cracks here. only the chip on the two corners are major. i am thinking about just banking any settlement and try touch up paint for the damage. i have been looking at it and there is little damage on the bumper. definitely well made plastic.

7. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the drunk driving laws in your state are strictly enforced as as they are here in California. Hit and run drunk driving is a serious offense.

Good to hear that you are ok.

Keith :unsure:

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope your drunk driving laws stronger than they are here in Massachusetts. Here, the first offense is a frowny face by the judge, and if you caused property damage, he might wag a finger at you. Second offense is the proverbial slap on the wrist.

At least once a week I read in our local paper about someone being arrested for their fourth or fifth being caught DUI. I mean, what's someone with four (or even two) DUIs doing walking around free with access to a car?!?

9. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 18 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]392460[/snapback]</div>

That does suck that there are DUMB people out there that drink and drive, we arrest lots of those at work! At least most of them cant aford their bail!!! ha ha

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think he will have an issue, the way he reacted when i called 911, i had the distinct feeling that being arrested for DUI was not something unknown to him

11. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 18 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]392455[/snapback]</div>
    Dave, I hope you don't bank the settlement. The cosmetic damage may be minor, but if the underlying structure of the bumper (the part that's supposed to protect you/crumple in a collision) is damaged and you don't fix it, you will NOT be similarly protected the next time someone rear ends you. I got rear ended in my '91 Camry years ago, and I didn't even see any damage at first. The insurance ended up paying about $750 to have the whole bumper replaced, because the inner part had been damaged. Do you want $1,000 or so, or do you want a safe car? Since someone else will be paying for it, I'd opt for safety...

BTW drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident...I hope they strip him of his license for a l-o-n-g time.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, not making any decisions on anything until i take it in to have the damage accessed. comestics i can live with, but compromised safety is out of the question.

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 18 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]392429[/snapback]</div>
    That's a bummer, but don't settle for anything less than complete repair to your satisfaction.

How many roundabouts does Olympia have. I'm only familiar with one. That's the one near where the bridge was redone. IIRC.

Dave M.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is the one. there are two near the new bridge. the one i was at joins 4th, 5th and and connecting street (dont remember the name) it then connects to another roundabout which has Harrison, West Bay and the new street.

as far as how many roundabouts in Olympia, wow... there are at least a dozen i travel on a regular basis and probably many more i dont (creature of habit... tend to go to the same places along the same routes all the time)

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well that stinks. At least you weren't hurt. Though when you called 911, lucky the drunk didn't panic and try to run you over. There are a couple incidents here that made the news when the victim attempted to call 911 and the drunk floored it, flattening the victim.

I like a nice stiff shot myself, but I never drive. Taxi's are cheap peace of mind.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Very glad you are ok. I've had the same thing happen back when I was driving the Exploader that we traded in for our Prius.

We have a criminal defense firm down here. Their slogan is, "FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS PLEAD GUILTY". You gotta laugh, if just for the incredable cheese factor.

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm glad you were unharmed - DaveinOlyWA

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Feb 18 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]392433[/snapback]</div>
    This past December my Insight had a hit and run do some damage - so I've felt your pain.

Don't know if this site will help in this instance > http://www.madd.org/

Is it just me, or does it seem like traffic fatalities could be reduced a lot cheaper than airbags, bumpers, etc, by just getting drunks off the road? Makes me wonder if the liqour industry might be responsible for so many drunks on the road.

18. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Feb 18 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]392455[/snapback]</div>
    Glad you're ok.
    I know it's just cosmetics, but for me it would be hard not to fully repair such a young and beautiful car.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    aww man.

Well at least it's minor this time. Hopefully it's just that chip and broken clips.

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Tough Luck, Dave...

I hope that drunk's insurance is valid and will properly repair your Prius. Seems his insurance co. would significantly up his premiums and perhaps force him into the "high risk pool."

Texas is far too easy on 1st offense drinking drivers. My opinion: 1st offense suspends the license until a state-mandated Defensive Driving Course is completed and the passage of 60-90 days; stopped with a suspended license. impound the car; stopped driving another car, jail and community service plus AAA course required before restoration of the license. Still, none of this would restore a life or reversal of disabling injuries. To me, it seems much like an unprovoked physical attack.

I'd encourage you to get your Prius properly restored.