1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DTC P0AA6 appears during heavy rain

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan Ongvano, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Jonathan Ongvano

Jonathan Ongvano New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2012 PriusC woth 133000 miles on it. Car is still driving goodg was until last month or so, when the hybrid system warning light appeared on my dashboard, I immediately took it to a toyota service center, they charge me a lot money to diagnose the issue, only to tell me there was nothing wrong with the car, they cleared the codes and test drive it and gave it back to me, I thought everything was resolved.

A few days ago the warning light came back on, this time I bought my own diagnostic odb2, to try to get to the bottom of the problem, this is when I was the dtc code P0AA6, i have watch multiple videos explaining this code, unfortunately my scanner did not give me a detailed code to narrow down the issue, I'm planning to take it back to toyota service center to have it check again, but before I get hassled out of my money, I wanted to ask ideas from anyone.

I did notice something common to the 2 instances the hybrid warning light came on, It was happened when I was driving thru heavy rain. I'm thinking of something gotten wet causing a short. Would you guys have an idea what it could be., thanks

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Take a look underneath your Prius C, there is a high voltage cable that goes from the hybrid battery to the inverter, see if that cable is damaged.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    P0AA6 in wet weather does suggest that there is water intrusion on the high voltage cable under the car, but it's not the only possible cause.

You may want to revisit your code reader setup. Not all code readers can pull all of the details out of the Prius' many independent computers. I know there are some inexpensive bluetooth devices + phone apps that have good compatibility, and there is a thread on this board with current info but I haven't got it in my head right now.

Good luck!