1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DTC P1116 CHS coolant sensor circuit stack (revisit plus)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, May 9, 2018.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay I have done the following and still need a seek suggested advisement ….knowledge insight....HELP

Started out with DTC 1150 .….coolant path clog of coolant heat storage system AND
    DTC 1115..... coolant temperature sensor circuit for coolant heat storage system
    CHS coolant heat storage
    and further review and digress of what has happen to vehicle in subject 2004 Toyota Prius base

Replaced these parts with new part

sensor at base of heat storage tank aka CHS coolant sensor

coolant control valve location near radiator

inverter coolant pump location above coolant heat storage system aka CHS

replace coolant and bleed off air pockets

Previous history created threads on above DTC also reviewed multiple related posting and suggested paths to resolve current issue with no current clear path . . . . . to review.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear you are still having DTCs :(

How many miles are on this vehicle?

Which troubles codes did you pull this time?

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Patrick Wong
    or Mr. Chapman do you have any suggestion

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What DTCs are you currently reading (if any) after the above parts replacement ??

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The subject line says P1116.

It isn't helpful to start a new thread for an old issue, especially without including links to the earlier threads on the same issue ... in essence you're saying that you "reviewed multiple related posting and suggested paths to resolve" but you're throwing an obstacle in the path of your readers (whom you're asking for help) to do the same.

So if you've looked up the detection condition for P1116 in the repair manual, you see there are two ways the code can be triggered. Both happen during the hot coolant recovery cycle, right after you shut down the car. The engine coolant is supposed to be hot, and the car is pumping it into the thermos, so it expects the thermos temperature sensor reading to rise. By the end of the pump cycle it should be close to the engine coolant temperature sensor reading.

The P1116 gets set for one of two reasons: (a) the thermos temperature sensor didn't even rise more than 3 C during the recovery cycle, or (b) it rose, but was still not within 25 C of the engine coolant sensor by the end of the cycle.

Do you have Techstream? You could pull up the live data, and watch that sensor reading during a recovery cycle, just to find out, for starters, which of those two cases you've got. Then it's a matter of tracking down why it's happening that way.

-Chap

NortTexSalv04Prius and SFO like this.
  6. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My apologizes for muddy up the waters in the threads I have created you are correct Chapman....

"Do you have Techstream?"

No wish I did have Techstream

7. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may have overlooked the coolant pump that is directly next to coolant storage tank

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay have read other threads where other PC members have replaced that recirculation pump. ….clearly not hearing mine on vehicle shut down.....

Where should or would I purchase that pump

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Should be able to look it up on parts.toyota.com (which shows list prices though, dealers will often sell for less online).

Might want to take the usual steps of checking for voltage at the pump, and so on, to be sure the problem isn't somewhere else. Would be frustrating to go to the trouble of swapping the pump and have the new one not pump either. There should be step-by-step troubleshooting tips in the book.

-Chap

NortTexSalv04Prius likes this.