1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dual Antenna XM?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by naterprius, Oct 6, 2004.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I noticed the Prius XM kit (like all Pioneer kits) has a twin connector for the XM antenna. Can I run dual single antennas at seperate locations to improve reception? I want to keep them both under glass, so I'm thinking one on the back glass and one on the front dashboard.

Any experience? Any thoughts?

Nate

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

Most likely, no. The dual leads is one of two antenna formats for XM radios - some have single leads, like the Skyfi Boombox, and others have dual leads, such as the pioneer unit for the Prius.

From the leads themselves, they seem to be simply seperate leads for TERR (Terristial repeaters) and SAT (the Satellites themselves). I know this only because when I had a dual lead antenna I was hooking up to my single lead boombox, I found that only the SAT lead was giving signal - of course, I didn't expect signal from the TERR lead since I was in the middle of nowhere, Michigan.

The possibility is small, however, if the majority of the location you drive does get signifcant repeater strength along with Satellite reception - then you might be able to use a dual antenna feed. You can find out what the repeaters look like and go "searching" for one with the info on this page: http://www.telebeans.org/telco/towers/note...s/xm_radio.html (also lists Washington DC area repeaters)

Also - if you have a Skyfi or Roady, when it's powered off, hit 2 - 0 - 7 - XM (the circular XM button that will power on the system) - then hit display to cycle through screens of info that'll show your repeater strength, along with the two satellite strength. Or, with some cash, you can go here: http://www.rbr.com/pages/repeaters.asp and pay $10 for market locations (which you'll have to plot out on a map) of the repeaters in your area.

Hope this helps!

-m.

3. exces6

exces6 New Member

Try posting your question on www.xm411.com . They'll provide a quick and accurate response.