1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dual Hybrid Drive?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbermanmd, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please help me. I was real tired this morning when I was downing my protein shake and reading this months Scientific American magazine. They had an article that GM was pursuing dual hybrid drive technology rather than single hybrid drive technology like the Toyota Synergy Drive. It is supposedly more efficient when using the ICE because it has two planetary drives and two clutches?? It is apparently debuting in the 2007 GMC Envoy I think - or one of their large SUV's and then to follow on to other models from there. I think the article mentioned that the single drive technology causes a 2.5% energy loss with the ICE whereas the dual drive does not and has other benefits to boot.

So what is the deal with Dual Drive Hybrid technology and is it really "better" than the Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive which is apparently Single Drive technolgy?

Thanks guys in advance for the info.

And it is nice to see GM getting into the action here :)

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 19 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]273371[/snapback]</div>
    Sadly, you've been greenwashed.

They certainly do give the impression that they are joining the hybrid effort. But in reality, they aren't actually delivering much. The technology is currently only planned for use in their monster-size vehicles. And the production capacity until 2010 for GM, BMW, and DC combined is only 83,000 hybrid systems.

Meanwhile, Toyota will be getting their capacity up to 1,000,000 and will be offering their hybrid technology on vehicles that are far more friendly in the first place.

So whether or not the propaganda about their system being more efficient in certain conditions is true, very few would get to benefit from it anyway.

Remember, the point of their design was supposedly the fact that it is very easy to incorporate into an already existing vehicle, by simply swapping out the transmission. That being the case, you'd think they'd be able to pass Toyota in no time flat. But in reality, actual progress is turning out to be painfully slow.

4. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I can't even imagine anyone wanting to go back to cars with clutches to wear out just to save 2.5% gas.
    Savings would have to be far greater to be worth that.

5. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 19 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]273390[/snapback]</div>
    WOW what a crock you're spuing. No need for bashing. Go look at this

http://www.duemotori.com/news/auto_news/75...ransmission.php

Saab is not a big monster truck. Right or wrong? Go look at this

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/cadilla...alade.5895.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060811/tc_nm/...d_alliance_dc_3

Escalade hybrid next fall. And who said there was a clutch?

Sounds like Sadly you've been anti american car washed
    No need for that :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 11 2006, 07:57 PM) [snapback]301835[/snapback]</div>
    GM did.

There are 2 clutches buried within the system, nothing the driver has access to. Sounds like you have some studying to do.

It's a design that should deliver just fine. But the higher price and lower quantity don't equate to much of a solution.