1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dubious Polk study: "only 35% of hybrid vehicle owners choose to purchase a hybrid again..."

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by UsedToLoveCars, Apr 9, 2012.

1. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    title: "Only 35 Percent of Hybrid Owners Buying Hybrids Again, says Polk
    Higher fuel prices not yet impacting hybrid category's loyalty rates
    Monday, April 9, 2012"

further down: SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (April 9, 2012) -- While the selection of hybrid models in the U.S. has more than doubled since 2007, only 35 percent of hybrid vehicle owners choose to purchase a hybrid again when returning to market in 2011, according to recent analysis by Polk (See Table A). If repurchase behavior among the high volume audience of Toyota Prius owners isn't factored in, hybrid loyalty drops to under 25 percent."

How many hybrid owners returned to the market in 2011? Of course they don't say... I bet that number is pretty small.

This study is full of gems:

"Polk also found that consumers in traditional eco-friendly markets in the U.S. (e.g. Los Angeles, San Diego,"

Los Angeles? The car capital of the world is eco friendly? And San Diego is hot bed of geriatric conservativism.

One and Done: Study says most hybrid drivers don't buy another

2. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    That's funny. We posted the same story pretty much at the same time, and both agree that it's not exactly... stellar.

I allow a mod to merge mine into this, as yours link includes the original press release.

Edit: I can also do it myself! Here is the other thread content:

Link to article:
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...d-buyers-dont-buy-another-one-polk-study-says

The article starts out by excluding the (by far) best selling hybrid and says:
    "Excluding owners of the best-selling Toyota Prius, the repurchase rate among other hybrid buyers dropped to 22 percent, according to a Polk study released today."

The article talks about how Loyal Prius owners are, but does not provide an industry average to compare to.
    It ends with an attempt at an explanation for the low hybrid market share, and guesses it's due to the improved fuel economy of normal cars.
    But again, it does not provide any figures for comparison, such as how hybrid and conventional car fuel economy has changed.

3. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "And San Diego is hot bed of geriatric conservativism. "
    Not a description of San Diego

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, because their next car is an EV or PHEV.

Wouldn't catch me going back to a conventional car .... blech

1 person likes this.
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sure they are counting phevs as hybrids.

Let's face it, there are many more non-hybrid choices. Outside the prius the big sellers were the hondas, escape, and rx. Honda's didn't buy loyalty, the escape hasn't been redesigned. The Lexus RX is expensive, and if you downsize you get mileage up. The figures make sense.

If you had a prius you either buy another or go non hybrid.

The good news then, is these new hybrid sales are to people who have never had a hybrid before.

6. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have to question this study. I just really don't believe hybrid loyalty is that low. I know I've read that according to CR Prius owners are among the most satisfied with their cars, but to say only 60% buy a Toyota, let alone another Prius seems questionable.

Also, is it possible that this study looked at purchase from 2011 not as a replacement, but as a secondary vehicle? Meaning: I bought a Prius in 2010. If I bought another car now it might not be a Prius, but I may still have the Prius; the new vehicle replaces my other non-hybrid.

From Polk's site, they have no numbers or real data behind their findings, so I find this all extremely dubious.https://www.polk.com/company/news/only_35_percent_of_hybrid_owners_buying_hybrids_again_says_polk

Anybody know how they actually measured this? Did they measure people replacing their hybrid or buying a second vehicle?

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know how they did the study. Prius owners are more likely to buy anouther toyota than other toyota buyers:D Highest was hyundai at 64%. Prius owners are also the hybrid owners most likely to buy a new hybrid.
    Study: Hyundai named tops in owner brand loyalty

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is no valid basis of comparison in this study, and the "conclusions" are garbage.

9. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no way I would go back to a sub 40mpg car. If there turns out to be a conventional that can do that and it strikes my fancy then I might turn away from a hybrid but we will be more likely to go all hybrid in the future.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Of course Hybrid owners would not buy another hybrid outside the Prius. Those car owners had Civic Hybrid and GM crap hybrids.

Guess most of the 35% are from Ford and other Toyota owners?

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If by 'would not buy another hybrid', they mean 'would not buy a car with Hybrid Decals and a big alternator from GM' I can see why this poll could be right.

If the poll excludes real hybrids, they will have a high percentage of former BAS owners.
    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAS_Hybrid]BAS Hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider that hybrids are a rapidly growing market. I suspect this sets up a strong selection bias. New car buyers unloading a Prius will be biased towards recent owners who dislike it or regularly trade cars on a whim, while the owners looking to replace it with a newer Prius will tend to be longer term owners who bought in when the market was smaller.

If my guess is correct, this selection bias would shrink when, and if, hybrid's market share matures and stabilizes. And a survey of current owners, including those not trading in now, would show a significantly higher satisfaction rate.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We all hope hybrids are going to become a rapidly growing market. In the past spikes like march have been followed with down turns so that yearly take rates have only been 3% or less, which has been stable. When this was taken the take rate was at 2.44%, which was lower than 2008. If we look at the general market 97.6% bought non-hybrids,while 65% of previous hybrid drivers bought non-hybrids in 2011. The percent of hybrid cars needs to rise to much higher levels to drop these percentages.

If it stays stable around 3%, the bias will stay against hybrids:eek: If it matures at a higher level which we expect because of higher choice because of cafe standards than people may choose more hybrids.

14. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh rats. I was too slow to post this after work. I also was tickled/dubious of this study. Granted, I read comments from a very biased forum of individuals. :) However, everything I've heard or read from real people says once you go hybrid you stay hybrid. There's something off about this.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought a Prius, then I replaced my wife's minivan with another minivan. Does that mean I "switched" to a non-hybrid? I kept my Prius, after all.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cycledrum beat me. "It's because the next car will be an EV!"

But on a serious note, if I remember these type of surveys correctly, the question is "If you had to do it all over again, would you buy your car?"

IOW, would a Prius owner buy another Prius? Would a Escape Hybrid owner buy another Escape Hybrid? Would a Civic Hybrid owner buy another Civic Hybrid?

It could easily be skewed if Civic Hybrid owners ended up buying a Prius because they weren't loyal to Honda hybrids. Given that most manufacturers only have 2 or 3 models to choose from, it's not that surprising.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps I am wrong, I got the impression that new car buyers were asked what car they were buying now, and what car they had bought before the current purchase.

There are a whole slew of biases that creep into a survey of this type; and more important, the reader is not given a frame of reference. What fraction of Ford Bronco SUV buyers buy the same car at the next car purchase ? Same question for boat sized SUVs ? Who knows

Even taken at face value (which is horribly under-estimated,) we can say that owners of hybrid cars are 10 fold more likely to buy a hybrid in 2011 that the general US buying public. That is pretty good news, if it ends up being the near future equilibrium.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you actually read the Polk release you'll see that they give statistics about purchase of any hybrid vehicle. It's 41% for the Prius replacers and 20% for the Honda replacers.

Of course, if 41% of people replacing a Prius are buying another hybrid, then there must be plenty of new Prius buyers.

1 person likes this.
  19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Me, either.

The real reason I haven't bought another is that I haven't worn out the first one yet. I wonder if that factors in to the study.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The greater majority of Prius on the roads today in the US are less than 5 years old, so these (Prius owner) car buyers are mostly two groups:

1. Additional car to add to Prius
    2. Unhappy owners of recently bought Prius

CR tells us that group (2) is 5-10% at most, so I think the most we can say from the Polk study is that less than half of families choose to be Prius only when buying time arrives again.

If this study was completed in early 2012 when Americans once again flocked to SUVs, the results are even less surprising. Too bad the authors did not compare to 'economy compact fuel efficient not hybrid.'