1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumb question on the PHEV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jul 31, 2010.

1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been reading all these threads about the lucky members who have got a chance to test the Prius Plug In.

One thing I can't find an answer for is can you switch off the EV side and run it as a normal hybrid without first using up the 14 mile range?

The gen3/2010 Prius has an EV button to run in EV when you don't want to use the petrol engine. Does the PHEV come with a hybrid button to override the EV to run as a hybrid?

I'm sure some will question why one would want to do this, but it would be nice to have the option. I'm sure for many the switchable use of the 14 miles EV would be handy. If you have a 30 mile commute there's no point using up the EV on the highway where the petrol engine would run efficiently only to end up using the hybrid in the city.

I just think it handy and more flexible to have the option.

Any thoughts? (and don't suggest the Volt!).

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are no dumb questions.
    The EV button, typical in the Gen3 Prius, is missing in the PHV. Gone. Nada. Removed.

Like you, I and many others have lamented on the inability to strategically apply the EV range when we know it is most practical. However, keep in mind that this is the pre-production version. With luck, Toyota has heard our cries and the final production version will have something implemented.

3. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope they're listening as it would certainly be a handy addition.

When you handed the car back did they send you a questionnaire to complete?

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had the same question. I have a 52 mile daily commute with the first and last 5 miles being stop and go city driving with 42 mile highway driving in the middle.

It would be nice to be able to use the EV on the first and last 5 miles and the ICE on the highway.

5. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm...I agree with you guys--that would seem like a good option. I admit I was a little shocked to see that they got rid of the EV mode button too in the PHV that I test drove.

If I were to guess as to why they did it, its probably to prevent someone from accidentally disabling the system and thinking "Why am I getting such terrible mileage?" They probably want to make it idiot proof in the sense that all you have to do is get in and drive--an approach that I respect and approve of though for the more advanced user there should be a way to temporarily disable the system...

Sounds like an after-market solution is in order.

Andrew

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well as Tony said it's just a pre-production test model. I do hope they look at incorporating a button to allow manual adjustment to EV/Hybrid for those of us who want it.

I'm sure they could make it default back once power is switched off.

7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe like the gen2, hook up a button and it works... ?

8. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only reason that works in the gen2 is that there is a EV button supplied in the gen 2 for those vehicles sold outside North America, so all the logic for the computer was already present. But if the option is not present in any model, then it may be a difficult execise to add.

9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the theory of the missing button is to make sure the batteries get used. Remember these cars are going to fleets. These fleet drivers have no incentive to take care of the car or get good gas mileage from them. Toyota is making sure the batteries get used when they get charged. The weak link is getting the fleet drivers to actually charge the car. If they wont the data will end up looking like google's PHEV fleet.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hence why I have stated numerous occasions to Toyota that I felt that too many of these cars went into the hands of the wrong people, and not those who would really put the battery packs through thorough testing for a year or more. I don't think it made a difference with the 'brass' at Toyota but maybe it'll make a difference in the future.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Give one to me. I've a passing interest in PHEV's and would certainly give it a thorough testing! ;) If it can handle a year of my driving then it'll be fine (I wouldn't have to pay any repair costs right? :D ).

But like you say, I'm sure many of these vehicles went to the wrong type of person and maybe became almost a status symbol in the company and probably driven by someone who hasn't driven a hybrid before.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read a King County, plug-in hybrid report and that is what happened. Fleet use failed to achieve the PHEV potential. It was their driving profile and their need to perform the job versus save gas.

Bob Wilson