1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumb question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by olends, Mar 10, 2005.

1. olends

olends New Member

when starting the car how long is one required to keep their foot upon the brake?

2. jeepien

jeepien Member

Just until you hear the "ta-dah" beep, and the READY light comes on. Maybe even less.

I think that as long as your foot was on the brake when you pushed the Power button, you're all set.

Of course then you're going to have to put your foot back on the brake when you want to get it out of Park.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Tah-Dahh? I usually hear 'click click' as the relays in the back go through their sequence.

Why, did you get a hang-on-Ig-On condition?

4. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I hear the clicks, then two beeps when it's in ready mode. After my incident of not going into gear (hasn't happened again), I'm pretty careful to wait until I hear those two beeps before putting it in gear.

5. jeepien

jeepien Member

When the READY light comes on, there is a double beep, with the second one noticeably longer than the first. From the first time I heard it, I always associated it with the rhythm of "ta dah".

Of course, if your seat belt's not on yet, you are treated to all sorts of annoyed beeps that would make it hard to pick one sound apart from another.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One day I realized that I was keeping my foot squarely on the brake for a very long time. No real reason, the car's not going anywhere.

My answer is that after you press (Power) a couple times, you should be able to remove your foot from the brake. If you remove it too soon, you might go into ACC mode. In which case, just give it a few seconds, re-apply your foot, and hit the (Power) button one more time.

After that, just make sure you apply the brake before attempting to shift.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I only get one beep when I go into Ready.