1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumbya suspends strategic oil reserves deposits

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JackDodge, Apr 25, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUS...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

What I'd like to hear him say when the "taxpayer" demands that he do something about high gas prices would be somewhere along the lines of "stop guzzling gas, idiot" but that won't happen any more that a photo op of W hugging a tree :rolleyes: It ought to be a requirement that if you're a legislator or the President, that you must wear a red clown nose and have a bow tie that spins. The only sane voice I heard this morning was Carol Costello of CNN (who I have a bit of a crush on) when she mentioned that even though Congress isn't doing anything useful about high gas prices, the consumer isn't doing anything either, considering that we're guzzling over 9 million more gallons of gasoline per day than we were at this time last year. Hasn't anyone heard of the supply and demand concept?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, no. The increase of fuel consumption is accounted for in the new drivers on the roads. All these 16 - 21 year-olds have been educated in the last five years under the "No Child Left Behind" initiative. So you see, no they haven't.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dubbua has no clue. He does as he is told. I am glad I drive a Prius. I need to get my son, daughter and wife into one!

4. larryenok

larryenok New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 25 2006, 07:53 AM) [snapback]244835[/snapback]</div>
    Aha and here is the rub! What motivation does Congress have when the free market decides? Actually, I have no problem with the gas prices going to $4 with my Prius. Sure I don't want to dig too deep into the pcket, but I HAVE noticed people driving slower in the Fwy!

How about Congress TAX the windfall profits of oil and gas companies - BUT they allow credits against that tax IF the oil and gas companies are invest directly in infrastructure to eliminate gas dependency! They argue the cost of gas has to hit $5 to make the investments worthwhile, but this might speed things up, and Plug-in technoligy should be allowed to qualify, as E85 production and conversion, as Fuel Cell (though I personally think this is not a realistic alternative, but I'll bite), include plug in stations at parking lots and service stations that would allow charging of PHEVs (and payment by gas companhy credit card).

I am sure all of you could think of additional alternatives and this is just a start, but think if the millions were invested in battery technology, PHEV, E85, Hydrogen production and distribution of each.

Perhaps Congress could also see their way clear to allow credits to US if we invested in the PHEV installation - say 50% of the cost?!

If you decide to encourage others to write their Congressperson regarding these ideas, perhaps they could also write to modify the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) provisions so we could actually receive some benefit of the energy credits allowed for investing in fuel efficient vehicles.

My position: Congress and Geedubya are looking for an alternative that will allow them to save face. Our greatest opportunity to achieve beneficial change is now!

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lose the chimp
    tax the crap out of gasoline and use the proceeds to seriously
    start building renewable infrastructure
    ... well, I can dream.
    _H*

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The success of the Prius and other hybrids is evidence that the market is finally getting to the point where the consumer will choose the right high mileage car. If E85 gives the consumer better value, the consumer will choose it as well. All the government programs in the world won't solve this problem, but the right mix of products in the marketplace will.

Higher taxes won't make gas cheaper, but I kind of like the idea of tax credits for research into alternatives. I'll bet those exist already, but it is a nice thought. At least it thinks past the "I had to pay more ... punish them!" sentiments out there.

The only thing government can do to help the consumer would be to eliminate taxes on gasoline. I hate taxes, but lowering the price of gas is hardly the way to encourage conservation and alternative fuels. If gas gets back to prices below $2.50, the consumer will once again buy huge vehicles and be happy getting 14 MPG.

7. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Apr 25 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]244835[/snapback]</div>
    Carol Costello? Not bad. My vote is for Robin Meade of Headline News in the AM.

[attachmentid=3192]

To get back on topic...(hey, stop looking at Robin Meade and read my post! :) ) my favorite lame intiative is to give back $100 to every driver, taxpayer (?), (who knows) in the US!

Almost sounds like a payoff to me. Just like those two refund checks we received years ago. Americans are soooooo easy :)

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 1 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]247783[/snapback]</div>
    Well, then there's Fredricka, whom I never tire of looking at... B) What was the topic again? ;)

9. petsounds75

petsounds75 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 1 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]247939[/snapback]</div>
    The Chimp sucks. I think a few Branch Davidians escaped and now we have the numbers - his approval numbers.

10. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 1 2006, 12:13 AM) [snapback]247783[/snapback]</div>
    :blink: I'm sorry... did you write something?... :blink: :p

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

This whole surge in gas prices in the last two years is pure BS market manipulation. I don't find it highly likely, by any means, that suddenly, supply = demand virtually overnight.

Oh yeah, Fox's Laurie Dhue gets my vote...

[​IMG]

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ May 8 2006, 02:16 PM) [snapback]251584[/snapback]</div>
    She's showing both her left and right thigh here...is that a "fair and balanced" view? :lol:

OK- as long as everyone is ignoring the initial subject and posting pix of CNN anchorwomen, here's the one I like to look at the least- Daryn Kagan reminds me of some kind of vile lizard. And knowing that she actually slept with Rush Limbaugh (supposedly they broke up recently)- YECHHH!!!! :huh: :huh: