1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dunlop Graspic DS-2 tires initial impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brian K, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I did a mess of research, did a bunch of calling locally, and found a dealer who had them, was knowledgable about them, and (honest!) had the best price. The Tire Rack price was ruined with the shipping charge. What we wanted were the best studless tires we could find. Best winter traction was desired, other qualities could be traded for that. It appears not much was traded to get the traction and they're LRR tires to boot.

OK, we got them installed Saturday on plain black steel rims, new, 'cause I couldn't find used anywhere. It was a rainy day, that was great because I wanted to see what they were like on wet, so the wife doesn't have any surprises. They were good on wet, understand, I wasn't hot rodding it, just driving normally with the wife in the car. Too, at this point I didn't have the right tire pressure in them.

Corrected the pressure to 43/41 and drove it home. Earlier I commented on the quietness of the tires. Continuing the drive home, yup, the tires are quieter than the OEM tires. They're MUCH quieter than studded tires.

So far, and understand, we don't have many miles on them, they appear to be better than the OEM. I saw one review where the gent claimed they were uncontrollable on the road, I certainly question that review.

OK, I just took the car out to check it out on wet roads with no wife in the car. I just got back. High speed was good, hard braking was good. In an unused parking lot I tried to get the tires to break away by hard turns at high speed. No such luck. They're glued to the road. The tests I did were way more severe than normal driving, about as one would drive in panic situations.

Note this isn't a comparison to anything. The tires simply appear to be quite good. The real test will come this winter (Maine). So far though I'm rather impressed with them. Good or bad this winter I'll report back with a review.

2. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the review. We need more postings like this one.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I run the Graspic DS-2 on my Prius here in WInnipeg. Last winter they worked VERY well in snow and everything except polished ice. They were still way better than the Michelin Harmony on polished ice, but a Nokian studded tire would have better ice traction.

The car rides a bit softer thanks to the softer sidewalls. Oddly enough, this does NOT effect highway tracking. Turn in is a bit delayed and mushy.

On a given stretch of Trans Canada where I would expect 5.1-5.2 l/100km the Graspics would give 5.3-5.4 l/100km, an acceptible trade off. No difference in city fuel economy.

I had better go to the condo storage room and check on them. Thanks for reminding me.

4. Brian K

Brian K New Member

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well it looks like I won't be using the Graspic DS-2 this winter after all.

This morning around 7am - while making breakfast - I had a knock on the door. Since my condo has secure entry, whoever wants to visit has to buzz in, and I can see them on the security cameras.

It was the building manager and a Winnipeg City Police officer. Looks like we had some vandalism. About a week ago a contractor was hired to paint the lower level party room and the storage units. I haven't been in my storage room in about a month.

Nobody talks about it, but there are also hidden security cameras in the halls, storage areas, stairwells, etc. They look like clocks or thermostats. Whoever the contractor subbed to didn't know that, and they tried to clean up in the storage area. Lifted some items, damaged other items.

All my winter tires were slashed, so they're ruined. The contractor was also along and especially after being presented with hours of video evidence, was more than willing to pay in full for all stolen/unrecoverable items, and those items damaged.

So now I have to find winter tires again. Kind of worried I may have to wait, that surprise blizzard that went through Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba two weeks ago appears to have caused a run on winter tires.

Hopefully I can find a half-decent tire before the snow is here to stay.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Jay sorry to hear of the hastle you are forced to deal with. Cameras in clocks and therm's? Lucky for you, but who would have guessed? Cameras at ALL in Winnipeg would be a suprise to me...I have a picture to our neighbors to the north as peace-loving, low crime ridden, polite people. I guess things change everywhere. Even my much loved backward island of Hawaii is ICE (Meth) infested thereby leading to much petty crime. Glad you will be reimbursed. Just one more thing to complicate your daily routine.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

John:

Actually, Winnipeg is the Car Theft Capital, Assault Capital, Break In Capital, and Homicide Capital of Canada. A very disturbing claim to fame, no?

I worry that tourists from the U.S. think as you do, don't take the proper precautions, and wake up the next morning to find their vehicle broken into or outright missing.

I've calmed down quite a bit. The contractor has called around and gotten a handle on some Yokohama Ice Guard 10 winter tires. I think our forum member "c4" has spoken highly of them. Should have them tomorrow or Wednesday.

The surveillance video is interesting. Also disturbing, makes you feel violated.

Jay

8. c4

c4 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your tires.. I've never tried the Yokohamas (I drive another Japanese brand- Toyo), but the Yokohamas are on my "list of interest" due to the little nylon filaments that I believe they call "mini studs" in the compound of certain of their winter tires (very similar to the bits of walnut compound for improved ice traction in the Toyos).. Unfortunately, the Toyo model I wanted is not available in a size/load rating combination suitable for my Classic, so I've been considering what tires to get this winter.. Unfortunately, becaue tires last so long you really don't get a chance to try and compare many brands.. The auto magazine and tire store comparisons are useful, but they generally test brand-new tires and you don't get a sense of how well the tires wear or how their performance changes with as they wear.. This was my main concern about the Bridgestone Blizzaks- they seem to be quite decent when new, but you never see the magazines doing reviews on 2 year-old tires to see what happens when the soft rubber is all worn off (my expectation, based on winter performance of all-season compounds, is that they'd probably be outright dangerous once the compound is worn- I was actually looking forward to Jayman's experiences with his Dunlops this winter as they are basically a less-expensive clone of the Blizzaks).. My experience with the Toyos was that I could still expect superior winter performance right down to the wear bars (11/32nds down to 2/32nds)..

I was prepared to order the Nokian RSi this year, but despite the other inconsistencies in the article and the poor reputation of CR in general, the recent CR reports gave me pause as they were the first real test data on Nokians compared to North American brands (vs mounds of glowing, but totally unprovable anecdotes), but another article from a magazine in Norway rated the Michelin X-Ice (which was the CR top performer) as neck-and-neck with the Nokian (whereas the Bridgestones were way down on the list; most of the other tires on the list were not brands/models available in North America), so I decided to give the Michelin tires a try- the $50 rebate going on right now didn't hurt either.. The tire store does have a return policy, so if they don't work out, I'll still have an opportunity to exchange them.. I'll update the group when I've had a chance to play with them a bit..

9. popoff

popoff New Member

Where did you find the plain steel rims?

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On that topic, the Vag och Transport forskningInstitutet (Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute) did such a study but with MUCH older tires - 10 years old - compared to new ones.

With studless tires, you're entirely correct in that the tread becomes hard and no better than "all-season" tires on ice. In Sweden you MUST run "approved" winter tires in winter conditions, it's a legal requirement.

There is an interesting study on this here:

http://62.119.60.67/templates/Report____27...x?reportid=2460

Don't worry about 1/3 of the report is in English so you should be able to get the gist of what Olle Nordstrom is saying. I'm sure our Swedish friends can also offer impressions.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The rims are "15 x 6.00 JJ" and appear to be a very common rim size. I got new generic steel rims in a "dual pattern" hub.

Try asking for a Corolla or Matrix rim instead.

12. ededed112233

ededed112233 New Member

Tirerack is planning to post that it's okay to use Matrix steel rims. I've ordered WS-50s and steel rims from them and am waiting for shipment. I looked high and low for steel rims -- found no good source in the Boston area. At Tirerack steel wheels are $34 not including shipping.

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know what the lifespan of the WS-50's are compared to the DS-2's?

14. popoff

popoff New Member

Thanks for the response.

I just checked with Tire Rack and found that they do have some Matrix takeoffs available but they are 16" (stock on the Matrix) rather than the stock Prius 15".

15. Brian K

Brian K New Member

I got them from Tire Warehouse here in Maine. Nothing special about them, any parts store should be able to get them. We did need to go to a different lug nut for them.

Frankly, they're pretty ugly wheels, but a stop at a parts store on the way home and $20 got us some plastic wheel covers that make 'em look like brushed aluminum.

16. ededed112233

ededed112233 New Member

Yeah. The sales guy called me this afternoon and told me that Matrix rims are 16 inch. I gues I'm going to get cheap alloy rims for $64; I'm tired of looking for steel wheels.