1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Duplicate FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SureValla, Oct 12, 2007.

1. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Back in high school two of my teachers had the same car and their keys happened to unlock and turn on each others car.

anyone ever find their keyfob unlocks someone elses prius? i wonder how similar the frequency would have to be or how wide toyotas usable range is.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the fob transmits a unique code rather than a unique frequency. There would be millions of combinations I think. A bit like bar codes.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A couple of years ago, I was driving my GF's 2001 Avalon and stopped at a Radio Shack store to buy a cable for the TV.

I wasn't paying too much attention when I came out, but pressed the unlock button on the remote and the car beeped and unlocked the door. I started to get in and I noticed a scrap of paper on the drivers seat. Hmm...where did that come from? The scrap of paper had the part numbers for the spark plugs, air filter, etc. Hmmm...why would my GF have that? I sat down and noticed that the drivers seat was not in the same position where I had left it. In fact, the color of the interior had changed from grey leather to tan leather. Wth? Oh sh!t, this isn't our car!

I got out and realized that I was parked about 15 feet away in a different row. I hit the lock button on the remote and both cars beeped in acknowledgement. I got into the correct car this time and left.

I wonder if the owner of the other car noticed and what his/her reaction was?