1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Duralast Gold 51-DLG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Branndon, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius is set up with the standard sized battery terminals. I'm not sure why, as it's used.

I don't know enough about batteries, and this is the one AutoZone gave me Duralast Gold/Battery (51-DLG) | AutoZone.com

My concern is mainly venting, and whether or not it's going to work for my Prius long term. Can you see any reason why this one shouldn't be used?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think venting is a good idea for a battery inside the cabin. i would return it ang go for the optima or toyota oem. all the best!(y)

3. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Exide is also an option.

4. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Batteries can't be returned that easily. I was just asking if there were any reasons not to use this one. If it's venting, is it possible that I can vent this one properly?

5. Branndon

Branndon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there some sort of article or page specifically on venting a battery such as mine? I'm starting from a blank slate and don't even know what to google to make this battery work for me so I'm not out $120 or so.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I assume that you installed the replacement battery yourself. If you look at the original equipment battery, you will notice that the top of the battery was sealed, it had a vent opening on one end, a plastic fitting that plugged into that hole, and a rubber tube leading from the fitting to a grommet in the body floor which leads to the exterior.

The replacement battery does not have a vent opening on the side. Rather each cell is individually vented via the rectangular covers on top of the battery. Hence this means that in the event that the battery is overcharged, hydrogen gas will be released into the hatch area which is a potential fire hazard. The reality is that the likelihood of this particular hazard occurring is low.

Another potential risk is that since your replacement battery is the traditional flooded lead acid design, in the event of an accident which impacts your right rear fender, the battery case, if cracked, will release acid into the hatch area. That is a more significant issue in my opinion.

7. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you are not satisfied with the battery, since Autozone recommended this battery, I would go back and tell them they recommended a battery that is unsafe for this application. It is not an AGM battery that limits acid spray in the cabin in the event of catastrophic accident and it is not vented to prevent hydrogen gas buildup in the cabin. This flooded battery is not the type of battery designed for this use. They should have known better.They do have access to batteries for this application.

Another option is described in this thread.
    Fitting mobility 12volt AGM battery. | PriusChat

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they actually show optima in the o/p's original link.