1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DVD Navigation security feature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by robert_mza, Jul 28, 2004.

1. robert_mza

robert_mza New Member

I was told by my dealer (not sure if it is true or not) that there is a way to deactivate the security feature of the DVD Navigation of the 2004 Prius. (He did not tell me how though :x ) . It's very annoying not to be able to use most of the Navi keys while the car is moving. My friend has an Acura with Navi and his is fully operational all the time. I understand the security reasons behind it but that should be left up to the responsibility and discretion of the owner.

Anyway... if you know how to do it please e-mail me.

[email protected]

Thanks

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. karmavore

karmavore New Member

The discretion of the owner should also probably take into account the following...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/07/27/dvd.traf...h.ap/index.html

While I'm going to completely side-step the issue of drive-time distractions, it appears that people who perform modifications to deactivate installed security features could be held criminally liable for damages or fatalities that result.

[Sorry that my first post is such a downer! My car will be here next month! I can't wait!]

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 things
    1)Good point--It could be dangerous for the driver to try to program the Nav while driving. To hell with criminal liability, we have a social responsibility to drive under control and not kill people with our cars for the sake of conveniently programming our route to Krispy Kreme.

2)The mod has a disclaimer and the clear intent is to allow the passenger to program the Nav with the car in motion.

Finally, besides my thread check out Brosnan's Improved Method in this Thread. I believe his access location is far superior to mine both for sake of speed and convenience. Also, it allows simultaneous installation of a switch to allow full access to the BT phone while in motion. In fact, if you find the appropriate switch you could have the ability to access both from the same switch. If you're handy with electronics he's even posted the diagram for a circuit that makes those happen automatically when you access the features without even the need for an additional button.

You could probably find someone to build the circuits for you even.