1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DVD Navigation System and Updates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jandmayra, Jul 14, 2005.

1. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

As posted in a different topic forum...

O.K. so there is a DVD drive in the vehicle. Doesn't every CD and DVD manufacturer list as a warning to keep their media out of hot places such as car interiors?

Also, every salesman I spoke with concerning the Navigation system always stated that the updates had to be performed by the Toyota dealer. Is there anything else they do to the car/system other than insert a new DVD into the drive? Sounds like a scam to me.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:36f8000654]I took my DVD out to look at it on my computer. When I was finished I put it back. I am not a Prius Tech...[/font:36f8000654]

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The tech/salesman was probably afraid that you might hurt yourself while taking DVD out and put the new one in. It is a very dangerous job ....
    :roll:
    Seriously, I had upgraded the navi-system DVD disk in my Honda. It was as simply as you could possibly imagine. Just put it in, and the navi reboots itself. Not even a button to push... Sounds dangerous... Next time, your menchanic says the fan belt in your car is cracked, you should think twice. :lol:

4. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

To be fair, this was the salesman, not the tech.

So, is it possible to get the updates from some other source than the dealer? If we can install them ourselves, then what do we need to dealer for in this case?

5. michalopoulosgk

michalopoulosgk New Member

Where is the DVD portal? I have not seen any access sites on the front or the back of the navigation screen, and I assume (perhaps wrong?) that it is not related to the CD player. Any guidance would be appreciated.

6. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(michalopoulosgk\";p=\"107804)</div>
    Under the driver's seat.

7. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"107699)</div>
    So, how did that work? Were you able to read it on your Macintosh? At the moment, we have two working Powerbooks. :)

8. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandmayra\";p=\"107386)</div>
    As far as the worrying about the heat, I suspect that it makes a difference for it to be underneath the seat in a ocoler part of the car versus in the dash exposed to heat from the sun.

If my memory serves correct, I read a thread on the Prius 2G group where a person replaced it themselves and it didn't involve much, I think just swapping out the discs. He reported no problems and took less than five minutes.

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric\";p=\"107708)</div>
    Or says you need to change the oil in your turn signal system.

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandmayra\";p=\"107791)</div>
    In the case with my Honda, I got e-mail from Honda saying there was a discount on the DVD-navi update for $250. Since it had been 3 years so I did it. I got it thru mail a couple weeks later. Opened the box that contained the new DVD and instructions. I followed the simple instructions (open the tray, put in the DVD, etc.) and the DVD drive recognized the new version of DVD and it started to reboot itself. You could see the messages on the screen while the computer was doing the reboot. Much easier than installing a software for your PC, IMHO.
    :lol:
    I hope this helps.

11. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jandmayra\";p=\"107859)</div>
    [font=Comic Sans MS:c4bb47af57]I could read most of the files, at least look at the contents, with BBEdit. Much made no sense. It looked like coordinates and names. I'm not terribly interested in hacking it or making a custom DVD, so I didn't do more than browse.[/font:c4bb47af57]

12. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Does anyone know what is the latest available update for the Prius DVD? I see versions 4.1 for sale on eBay, but is that the newest? Anyone have a version later than that?

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Miss_Taz\";p=\"110725)</div>
    Version 4.2 is the most recent. It is also the free replacement Toyota is providing those whose cars came with versions 4.1 and earlier.

14. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

It was my understanding that the technician is there (in this case) to protect Toyota, not you. Part of the task list is getting the old DVD out of your Prius and returning it to Toyota, or at least keeping it off eBay.

But others have posted that they were allowed to keep the "collector's item." I don't know if I will find out for sure.

Still hoping for another update later this year. I haven't seen a huge need to update the performance of my Nav system; roads are rarely built here anymore.

Last week I was looking for an ATM, and the resulting list showed many obsolete bank names and locations. That's the closest I've come to feeling that I need to run down to my $29,000 DVD store for the new release.

15. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Toyota's giving 4.2 for free? Does anyone know how to initiate that process? Do we have to go through our selling dealer or what?

In FL, they are building roads night and day. At least once a week I end up on a road that my "Navigation Woman" knows nothing about.

Any pointers on how to get this new version are appreciated! Thanks!

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you have an 04 or an 05 Prius with NAV DVD version older than 4.2 you should have received a notice in the mail from Toyota regarding the free upgrade. The offer expires December 31, 2005. Your dealer should be able to assist you if you were not contacted by Toyota.

17. kmf164

kmf164 New Member

I know that it's a dual-layer disc., so not just any DVD drive works for reading the Nav disc (or making a copy). Though, dual-layer drives are becoming more common. And, I'm not sure if the Nav system uses DVD-R or DVD+R format, with the dual-layer discs.

None of this matters though, if you're just swapping one disc for another in the car. That should be a simple task.

18. jandmayra

jandmayra New Member

As I understand, updates not only provide you with new road information, but new point of interest (POI) information as well. In some circunstances, that could be a worthwhile upgrade. :)

19. smackoww

smackoww Junior Member

ANY dvd player can read a dual layer disc. its burning a dual layer disc that only the newer burners can do.
    movie dvds are dual layered too.
    as for -R or +R, i hae no idea which one would work better, however -R has a higher compatibilty rate with dvd players, if that is any indication

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Just to let you guys know, the NAV will read DVD RW. Not sure if I have + or -, but whatever is usually cheapest. All I could fit on a single layer is one region, but it did work! At least, as long as I didn't do a dopey thing and switch regions with the RW. I had to put the original back in after doing that.

Put the car in ACC mode. Look under the driver seat from the back seat. You'll see a cover that snaps off. Then you will see a sliding dust cover. Slide the cover (left I think) and press the button you used to slide the cover. DVD pops out. Then put the new one in like any slot load CD/DVD player. Slide the cover closed, put the outer cover on.