1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DVD setup on the MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rxmxsh, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey All -

Did some searching, but couldn't find any definitive answers. I would like to do a mod that would allow me to watch DVD's on the MFD. Please read the following statement:

I HAVE A BASE MODEL PRIUS WITH NO BACK UP OR NAV

I think the coastaletech lockpick 3 might work, but I'm not sure. I want to be able to hook up a DVD player or something to the MFD. What mod do I need to purchase and install?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a video controller (I think Coastal was gonna sell one.. do not know if it came into fruition).

this controller has the RCA inputs for audio/video and has a plug that plugs into the MFD (I think it's the MFD).

So after that, you just need a source

3. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rxmxsh @ Jul 15 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]479420[/snapback]</div>
    The Coastal product works fine. It was dirt simple to install.

Yes, base model. Works great.

4. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    which coastal product do you speak of? Thanks...

5. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I emailed coastal tech and they said the lockpick 3 has rca inputs... I feel that would do the trick... Not that I don't trust coastal, :) but can someone confirm the lockpick 3 does in fact have rca inputs?

Thanks!

6. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

yes, it has RCA inputs.

I drilled holes in the vent panel to the right of the radio, at the bottom, and installed female to female couplers there. I plugged the Lockpick pieces in behind the vent panel permanently, and I plug whatever else I want into the resutling outside jacks at the bottom of the vent panel whenever I need it--DVD, sat radio, ipod, whatever.

7. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Jul 16 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]479606[/snapback]</div>
    Could you post a pic of that? I'd be very interested to see it. Thanks!

8. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Jul 16 2007, 11:54 AM) [snapback]479729[/snapback]</div>
    x2! I'd really like to see that setup... Also - I take it wasn't hard to install?

9. ilwckb252

ilwckb252 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the coastal lockpick as well. Its great once you finally get one. I took a different approach and ran the 3 foot rca cables down the center console and hid the wires all the way to the trunk. There is an inverter with with a dvd player attached. I did that so its out of the way, I hate things hanging arround in the driver/passenger area.

10. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilwckb252 @ Jul 17 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]480329[/snapback]</div>
    I hate a big mess too... if you have pics show 'em :D I'd like to see.