1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

@@@ DYI: Add DRL to stock turn signal @@@

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by tanasit, Nov 30, 2013.

1. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I installed the JDM corner lambs and after a few months, not happy about it because the the white DRL stopped working and the lens turned cloudy.

[​IMG]

And since the JDM's DRL is not that bright, so I installed the the new Philips DayLightGuide.
    ( Philips DayLightGuide Daytime Running Light | PriusChat )

Then I want to try the halo rings over the fog light that I never used.
    ( Eagle eye or halo angel around the stock fog lights | PriusChat ).

Then one day, I came up with the idea of modifying the stock turn signal to incorporate the DRL.
    The steps are simple because on the back of the casing, there are vent plug and the relief valve to release the condensation if somehow the water got inside.

[​IMG]

Once the plug is pried off:
    [​IMG]

Judging from the size, I chose the white LED below which is 15 mm in diameter: (shown with rubber T10 socket)
    [​IMG]

Yes, I did try all the bulbs below but they are not as bright. There are some brighter ones but they are too big for this job.
    [​IMG]

Now I just used the stepped drill bit to open up the hole:

[​IMG]

The shavings will fall inside no matter how careful you were, so I used the air host to blast them off. Next ream the edge of the hole and insert the LED.

[​IMG]

Try fit first because you don't want the hole that's too big and the bulb should be "tight" fit. I used silicone glue to seal it:

[​IMG]

While at it, I chose the amber LED for the turn signal below:

[​IMG]

This requires the load resister (aka LED Decoder) or you will get fast blink:

[​IMG]

Note also that the turn signal bulb goes in side way but the way I drilled the hols for the DRL, the LED will face forward and that's why I chose the bulb with the aspherical lens for better brightness and wider view.
    Now it's ready to be installed.

[​IMG]

The above is about 25 yards away.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With both DRL and turn signals on. Note the Philips DRL will be on low when the others are on.

I decided not to use the stock very dim DRL inside the head light, so I swapped the harness with the turn signal so that I have the turn signal inside the headlight.
    But then the tragedy striked!! As you can see below, I dropped the little amber bulb "inside" the head light.:mad:

[​IMG]

I don't know how long the halo rings will last but I also prepared another set with thinner ring plus the protective cover and water proof it.

RightOnTime likes this.
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Any idea what caused the failure in the Revier turn/DRL?

3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I know that I am a "function over form" guy with a blatantly scientific perspective ... but have you ever considered that you might be getting carried away with your front end mods? Often "less is more".

xliderider likes this.
  4. tanasit

tanasit Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Somewhat agree, in particular the halo rings which may come off if they can't stand the weather and look dull. I can , however turn them off, except the Philips DRL.
    Less is more? Not sure if I can agree, especially if you want your car to be SEEN.