1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dying 12V Battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hawkjm73, May 15, 2008.

1. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

Hello all!

I suspect my 12V is nearing the end of its life. My Prius is a 2005, with about 66K miles. I'm also in Arizona, so the poor thing is subjected to some nasty temps in the summer.

Here's the symptoms: Occasionally going to the state of Ig/On (I think, like two power presses without pressing the brake) on power up. Made very sure I'm pressing the brake down firmly. It will generally start if I wait several seconds and re-press the button. It's done this about a dozen or so times over the past couple of weeks, but had never done so before. It is increasing in frequency.

My canview is reporting a 12V system voltage of more than 13V while the car is running, which I believe is about right, so the car's end of it is probably fine. When in Ig/On, canview reports a voltage a bit more then 9V, which screams "dying battery" to me.

I drive this car at least every other day, with trips of 30min or more.

I figure I'm off to the friendly auto parts store, but I thought I'd check in here first, in case I'm missing something.

Also, has anybody found the Optima battery at Costco? If so, how much was it?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I agree that your 12V auxiliary battery needs to be replaced. However, good luck finding a suitable replacement at a normal discount auto parts store.

The price for the correct battery at your friendly Toyota dealer may be ~$160. The GS battery is made in Japan, so it costs more than alternative batteries made in China.

3. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Prius Optima Aux shows pictures.

You can buy the kit here:

12 Volt (12v) Toyota Prius Auxilary Battery for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 with free shipping

This is a kit that replaces the Toyota battery with an Optima battery.

I did this a few months ago and have been _VERY_ happy with it.

I would HIGHLY recommend it, and I don't work for any of the vendors involved.

I bought my battery from elearnaid above - it was the best price that I could find for the yellow top, and the kit made the install go very smoothly.