1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dying Battery Or Something Like that....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gasolean, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My family lives part of the year in the US and part of the year overseas. Needless to say, they leave their cars behind. One issue that my father is running into with his Prius is that it "dies" if not driven for a long time. He comes back and it doesn't start and that's all I know. Does anyone have more detail on this? I'm going to be traveling a lot in the coming year and am wondering if I should get a car sitter. How long can one leave a Prius sitting without it dying? And what happens if it does die? Thanks!

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The problem is the small battery can run down if the car isn't driven for a while (over 2 weeks), which prevents the starting. You can turn off your Smart Key (if you have it) to help prevent a battery drain. You can add a trickle charger to keep it topped up. Another is to plug in a solar panel that will do the trickle charge as well. If you do that it'll have to be connected to the battery as the power outlets turn off when the power is off. It's possible to do a mod to change that on one of them.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd use a small trickle charger on the 12V jumper posts. They are fairly cheep, and will keep your battery in good shape for when you return.

Tom

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Aug 29 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]503703[/snapback]</div>
    I'd make sure that what you get is a float charger (one designed, for example, to keep a 12V gel cell alive for long periods of time). If you get one that keeps pushing current, even a small amount of current, through the battery, it will cook the 12V battery over time.

Also, attach it to the posts under the hood instead of on the battery in the trunk. It's easier to get to.