1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dynamat Extreme installation finally competed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Tadashi, May 8, 2005.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay thought I would start a new thread to summarize the job.

I had my installation done at the local Best Buy. It took them about 21 hours using 2 people. This included interruptions as they would have to help other installations for something else or take a lunch break. Total cost was $1035.76 (including tax and labor). It took 96 sq ft (~45 lbs).

Prius noise level (OEM):
    Highway (60 mph) - 74 dB
    City (35 mph) - 60 dB

Doors:
    Highway (60 mph) - 68 dB
    City (35 mph) - 57 dB

Doors and Floor:
    Highway (60 mph) - 63 dB
    City (35 mph) - 52 dB

Doors, Floor, and Ceiling:
    Highway (60 mph) - 60 dB
    City (35 mph) - 50 dB

The results may vary depending on your tires and the road surface. I have the OEM Integrity Goodyear tires and only took readings on the non-grooved (smooth) roads. On grooved roads the readings were in the 70s-80s.

I used the Radio Shack $40 analog sound meter. It did not go below 50.

Notes:
    1. Buy the bulk packs. I purchased the kits not knowing how much we needed got 44 sq ft at first then bought in increments of 2 door kits of 24 sq ft. Probably would have saved me $50-$100.
    2. They did not do the floor spars Just the floor and the edges of the spars since many things screwed into the tops of the spars. Also they did not remove the battery pack (just did everything around it). Add about 12-16 sq ft if you want this done.
    3. Hatch door was not done.
    4. 4 sq in hole in each door was left open. It was normally covered in plastic (plastic shopping bag material) but was taken off when the door was done. A block of styrafoam fits into the hole (loosely). Not sure how much sound would be blocked by spending the time to fit the hole.
    5. If you do the installation do not screw everything in until you test the buttons. There was a few times they would have to undo things to reconnect lights or switches. For some reason things would not work, they would disconnect and reconnect and then it would work.
    6. They broke a bunch of gromits but had them on-hand. If you do a self project get these before you start. They broke about 5.
    7. Ceiling and padding is a 2-man project to pull out and move to prevent damage.
    8. No appratiable notice in loss of fuel economy. Went on ~1060 mile trip. Here are my 3 tanks of gas.
    75 mph - 55 mpg
    70 mph - 57 mpg
    60 mph - 60 mpg (with about 10% city driving)
    9. They took pictures. I will post them as soon as I can get it from them.

kenoarto likes this.
  2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Waaaaay more money than I can afford to put into noise reduction...

kenoarto likes this.
  3. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Tadashi for your write-up!! When you mention the DBA ratings you have, do I understand correctly that after installing the dynomat in the doors, you took the car for a drive to take measurements??

Did you take measurement after each section of Dynomat was completed??

The reduction you measured is quite significant and impressive to say the least!! The question now is how to we achieve similar noise reduction for less cost!!

Thanks!!

Brian

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Now all you have to do is replace your windshield with the new laminated low noise one they just started putting in the new Prii :)

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would do this in a second if I could find an installed I'd trust in SE Florida. I find the Prius to be pretty noisy (almost as noisy as my Saab convertible was with the top closed) on the highway. Obviously, Toyota thought this to be a concern as well.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blkc5\";p=\"88133)</div>
    Yes, it was not intentional. It took the Best buy techs several days to install everything. They did the doors first, then the floor, and finally the ceiling.

I am hoping someone will post the noise reduction from the OEM tires to the Goodyear Comfort Treads. If not I think I am going to do this before the end of the month so I will post the sound readings also.

7. RBW111

RBW111 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I changed to ComfortTreads but didn't measure before and after OEM's. The road noise on the highway was noticably reduced and the ride is much improved. I only did doors and floor with extreme Dynamat and it helped alot. Just got my Pri back from the tint shop and that seemed to dampen outside noise even more! And it looks way cool. Sorry can't post pic. Tecnologicaly challenged.

8. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now we need to work on the Generic Dynamat version of Tadashi's excellent project:

The material is available from McMaster-Carr. Just go to their main page and do a search on this number - “9709T19â€.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

A 32x54 sized piece is available for less than $15.

A good starting point is this project done on an MR2 Spyder:

http://spydermagazine.com/2002/Feb/dynamat/Dynamat.htm

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  10. bobc

bobc New Member

A colleague knowledgable in the building construction field inspected the Dynamat I had out when I installed it in my doors and commented that it appears to be the same material made for roofing around chimneys. It goes under the brand name of Vycor at Home Depot and is very, very cheap compared to Dynamat. Would be worth investigating...

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The doors were really easy. He just pulled the speakers off by grabbing them from the top. Then there are two screws. One in the cup like area on the arm rest and another right behind the latch. The grey plastic arm rest control panel also just lifts up. Disconnect the harness and then the whole panel should come off.

Note: When you reconnect the driver door control panel the auto up and down functions as well as the 45 sec functions when the car is turned off will not work. You need to reset the panel. Instructions are in the manual.

The door will be covered by a plastic covering which they just pulled off and applied the dynamat. They did have to leave the hole on the left upper part of the door open as there is a piece of styrafoam on the door panel that fits in there for some reason and will not fit with the dynamat.

Use the end of a large screw driver to contour the dynamat against the door. This will ensure the door fits snugly back on so you do not have any rubbing at the front by the dash.

Without knowing what each is made of I would be hesitant in using other materials, somehow I doubt they will tell us. Even the dynamat and the dynamat extreme look similiar but have vastly different properties (dynamat extereme is 4x more dampening than plain dynamat and lighter).

12. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Be careful with the cheap asphalt based stuff!! They smell awful and will outgass for what appears forever before the smell goes away!! I doubt that this is very good for ones health to say the lest..

The Dynamat is a good product but expensive. There is another similar product marketed by a company called B-Quiet. I believe that it is a vinyl based material similar to the Dynamat but a lot less expensive.

Thanks!!

Brian

13. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Tadashi for the in depth info!! Any chance of seeing some pictures of your installation? I would like to see how they contoured the doors with the Dynamat and the rest of the car covered as well.

Based upon your SPL measurements, you should be noticing a HUGE difference in road noise or should I say a lack of it. Please tell us your impressions on how well you feel this worked and would you have done anything different in retrospect?

Does the car feel more "solid" and refined compared to before? Would you have done anything different??

TIA!!

Brian

14. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So, anyone know of any good installers in Southeast Florida? There's none listed on the Dynamat site.

15. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guys at best buy had their manager take some pictures. Last I checked they did not have them yet. I will post as soon as I can get them. It basically looked like a 2nd skin. They slowly applied it and used the end of the screw driver to ensure it got into every crease and crevice. It looked like a lot of elbow grease to contour it.

I love it. It is much more quiet even on really bad roads. I cannot think of anything I would do different. I have seen some cars on the Dynamat site that covered every square inch, but this would have added another $600 for maybe 1 dB improvement. Maybe if anything I would have skipped the ceiling and only done the doors and floor (ceiling cost about $250).

I am not sure about the car feeling more solid, but it is more quiet. In traffic I would have to turn up my radio to hear above the nearby cars (and turn it down when I get past all the traffic). Now I do not need to do that. The JBL speakers seem more clear but probably due to less competition with other sounds.

What is this I hear tinting can reflect noise from the windows? True or bunk?

16. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is a project that I am going to tackle in the next few weeks. I plan on adding a subwoofer to the car so this would be the perfect time to do it. I will have all of the carpeting up and will be free to run wires nice and neet using the stock wiring loom for a factory like install.

I am thinking of getting the B-Quiet Extreme product. I believe it sells for 200 dollars for 100 sq/ft and this should be sufficient to do the doors and floor of the car. I don't think I want to mess wtih the ceiling as it would take another person to do it right and I don't want to risk damage to the headliner if I messed something up.

I will take multiple pictures during the install so everyone can see what is entailed.

Regarding the tint, I don't see it offering much if any sound reduction properties but then again, if it is thick enough material perhaps it could help. I will get some just to help keep the heat out so if it does offer some kind of sound reduction, so much the better!! :)

Thanks!!

Brian

17. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to consider the B-Quiet Ultimate instead - though a little more expensive at $240/100sqft, it doesn't mention asphalt like the Extreme does.

18. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, after reading about tinting I am going to go with the Huper Optik's ceramic tint. I found someone who did some experiments with it using plexiglass and a heat meter. Using a heat gun:

no tint plexiglass let 288 btu though
    non-metalic tint 5% (illegal in most states) lets 80 btu through (may fade and bubble)
    metalic tint 20% (illegal in my state) lets 80 tbu through (may bubble but will not fade, may intefere with GPS and cell depending on the tint lvl)
    ceramic 30% lets 90 btu through (does not interfere with GPS, RF, or cell)

It is garanteed for life not to fade or bubble.

Although it is much more expensive than your typical tint. I am trying to find some El Paso installers (done by Enpro Distribution) 1-800-331-6000. I will see if there are any sound differences but mainly I am told I will notice the need to use A/C less.

I also checked on the Goodyear Comfort Tread tires. It will cost me $89 a tire (including install and 80k warranty). I am hoping this will be more quiet and comfortable. Any recommendations on tire pressure for front and back?

I guess I should change this to a sound reduction thread.

19. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm running 42 psi front/ 40 psi rear and am happy with both quiet and mpg.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member