1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"E" blocks = how much distance?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by dubit, Apr 10, 2018.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I know a thread HAS to exist somewhere here on PriusChat for this, but for the life of me I can't find it. Nor can I find much on the net regarding it. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong term...

Just out of curiosity I was hoping to know just how far one of those "E" blocks that show up after braking would get me on say - a flat stretch of road without the ICE running?

Is it 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, more/less?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at what speed?

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2017 Prius manual says 1 E is 30 Wh and up to 5 Es per bar. I think each bar is a minute. You need to know what the EV only consumption rate is for your car to calculate the distance/speed data you desire.

I am not in my car right now but I thought the screen displaying the E had a legend telling you how much energy one represents. The Prius c may be different than my Gen 4 Prius.

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The speed I had in my head was 40mph, since that's typically a speed at which my C will shut the ICE off and go full electric.

Yeah, I have no idea what the consumption rate would be. The display in the C does say 30wh.

5. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a largely academic question, as it very much depends on the grade of the road you're driving on. I've gone 5 miles without the ICE on a long gradual downgrade.

Another way to answer your question is that if you use only regen to stop from 60, you'll have enough power to accelerate back to about 40. Or about 50% efficient.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's impossible to know what distance that would be because it's impossible to predict your acceleration rate, climb or descent rate, speed, wind, water on the road, accessory load, cargo load, and other variables.

However, if you know your average distance per kWh, you can calculate it based on the number of "E"s. At 30 Wh per "E," 33.3 of them would be one kWh. So, if you average, for example, 4 miles per kWh, one "E" would get you an average of about 0.12 miles. At an average of 4 miles per kWh. At 3 per kWh, it would be about 0.09 miles. But since, braking is generally followed by acceleration, what we regenerate is worth a lot less than 3 miles per kWh in forward propulsion.