1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

E15 Gas Approved by EPA; AAA warns could cause damage; Automakers say use it & void your Warranties

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    E15 Gasoline approved by EPA; AAA warns New E15 Gasoline May Damage Vehicles and Cause Consumer Confusion!

Citing potential corrosive damage to fuel lines, gaskets and other engine components by E15, Automakers have said they will not cover fuel-related warranty claims caused by E15.
    With Video: E15 Gas Approved by EPA Slammed by AAA – Carmakers Will Not Honor Warranties | Maggie's Notebook

BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, VW, Ford, Honda, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo
    [​IMG]
    New E15 Gasoline May Damage Vehicles and Cause Consumer Confusion | AAA NewsRoom

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Urgh, as if E10 being forced on us around here wasn't bad enough.

Blu-ray, austingreen and PriusCamper like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fact that E15 is the cheapest price per gallon could easily form the basis of fraud and racketering charges... Up in Washington State you can buy "Ethanol-Free Gas" for 20 cents more per gallon. The gas is far superior in so many ways... These ethanol people are starving the world to make a profit and its gotta stop! Biofuels like ethanol usually return 1% the amount of energy that was put into the true cost of production, manufacture and distribution.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Jeez! Let's see;
    1st you use oil barrel products made into fertilize for your corn/grain product.
    Then you use oil barrel products to make electricity to run your water pumps for your grain/crops
    Next you use oil barrel products to spray for bugs -
    Then you use oil barrel products to run the tractor and other farm equipment
    Then you us oil barrel products to ferment . . . then more oil barrel products to get your grain/fermented products pumped into trucks that burn oil products to take it to market.

Then your corn/grain based products end up with less btu's because that's their nature - so that your mileage is more crummy then what it was prior to adding corn/grain fuel.
    "Environmental Protection" ??
    And how does the EPA gives their blessing under their umbrella?

Odinn and PriusCamper like this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've already tested E30 in our 2003 Prius and it worked without a problem. I was less worried about the effective $/mi as much as making sure it works. I also have an E85 kit, not yet installed, so I can test it too.

I'm less worried about the 'energy balance' as making sure it works with the 1.5L engine and perhaps the 1.8L engine.

This may not be politically correct but if the pump has it (not diesel ... yet), I want to make sure my vehicle(s) can burn it.

Bob Wilson

6. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could find a gas station close by which offers ethanol free gasoline.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob I thought the problem with higher levels of ethanol was long term wear to parts not designed for them. Are all the components suitable for e15?

The other issue is higher evaporative emissions with E15 on these older cars, which I would think the epa would be more worried about than helping out ADM.

PriusCamper and xs650 like this.
  8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The manufacturers concerns are more about long term effects than whether it will work short term or not. For instance, adverse effects of higher ethanol concentrations on the elastomers in the fuel systems might not show up for well over a year. If the manufactures haven't tested it, they are going to be cautious.

austingreen and PriusCamper like this.