1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

E85 Aston Martin Wins Motorsport Event in UK

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ozyran, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ozyran

ozyran New Member

(Full Story Here)

Hmmm...rather interesting article. Looks like E85 is beginning to have a more widespread impact after all.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Green" racing? Isn't that an oxymoron?

3. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Yes it is. I just found it interesting that there's a team running an E85-powered race car. I imagine that it burns cleaner than some of the other cars on the track, though.

Maybe this environmentalism is finally catching on.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe there's a E100 Lotus Elise? Tiff Needell tested that a while back.

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't champ (Indy) cars burned ethanol for, like, DECADES now?

Undiluted Ethanol, if I recall correctly, burns with an absolutely clear flame and no smoke; it's really difficult to even tell that something is on fire (sure that someone here has more info, tho'...)

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 22 2007, 04:43 PM) [snapback]466578[/snapback]</div>
    Indy cars have been using alcohol for probably at least 30 years. If the driver is jumping around it's a safe bet he's on fire.

7. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 22 2007, 05:43 PM) [snapback]466578[/snapback]</div>
    True. However, how many other segments run the stuff? It's good to see it spreading out into other classes of racing.

Come to think of it, ethanol is probably the reason that Indy cars make so much power in such a small package.

8. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Jun 22 2007, 09:21 PM) [snapback]466706[/snapback]</div>
    I remember Indy in the 70's, when first they limited the amount of fuel the cars could carry, and then limited the *total* amount of fuel that each car could use to cover the 500 miles...

To this day, I find myself wondering if that was a good idea or not.

I *do* recall a picture of this Greek drag racer, Chris Karamesines, holding up a hydrometer while mixing his own blend of hydrazine (sp?) and who knows what else, for one of his Chizlers...

Back when 'unlimited' included the fuel you burned!!

Gosh, he's *cute*!!!

[attachmentid=9211]

[attachmentid=9212]

And today, in the same car as picture #1...
    (note that he's not wearing any safety equipment, other than a helmet; he's also the oldest person to drive a dragster faster than 300mph in the 1/4 mile!)

[attachmentid=9213]

Attached Files:

9. ozyran

ozyran New Member

That just goes to show you that when your number's up, your number's up. It doesn't matter how much or how little safety equipment you have on.