1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Early 2011 Gen 3 Prius - 12v battery options in the UK

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kimptoc, Mar 13, 2015.

1. kimptoc

kimptoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

My Prius is starting ok less and less, seems like the 12v battery is going - guess the lots of short drives we do aren't ideal for long 12v battery life.

Looking at the options Eurocarparts have - they have this Lion AGM battery for £135 - Lion Toyota AGM Battery Prius / Lexus 3 Year Warranty | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Or this Bosch for £47.40 - Bosch Toyota S4 Battery 054 4 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

Anyone have comments on these or UK alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

2. kimptoc

kimptoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just called Toyota to check what I am saving when doing it myself.. they quoted £112 for the battery alone, but they have a fixed price supply/install of £95. At that price, it seems easier to go with Toyota - was expecting £200+ ...

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep many popular consumables at Toyota are surprisingly cheap. Much better use them and get a proper warranty than buy something from Halfords and let one of their erm 'fitters' fit it.

Repairs & Parts - Toyota Owners | Toyota UK

kimptoc likes this.
  4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm assuming you're out of warranty now or close to it? I trust you're aware of the Hybrid Health Check that's free with a Toyota service or £39 if not? It extends the warranty on your HV battery by a further 10k miles or 12 months (which ever is first) and will do so upto 10 years with unlimited miles.

Hybrid Health Check | Toyota UK

kimptoc likes this.
  5. kimptoc

kimptoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Out of the main warranty - that was 3 years and its in year 4 now... the hybrid had a longer warranty, but presume that excludes the 12v battery.

Getting the car serviced by Toyota next week - so that should include the Hybrid health check - Hybrid Health Check | Toyota UK - but I don't see any mention of it covering the 12v battery. But at least it covers the hybrid battery for longer :)

Cheers,
    Chris

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was refering to the 12v earlier and the HV battery later.

The 12v is unlikely to be covered at this stage as the Prius 12v generally lasts about 4-5 years or 80k miles give or take.

The HV battery warranty depends on when your car was registered, though with a 2011 you probably have the 100k miles/8 years battery warranty. The HHC will be handy if you have a mileage higher than that.

Toyota Warranty | Toyota UK

Toyota hybrid warranty is a real mess as they keep changing their mind. One minute it's 8 years, then it's 5 years, then 8 years again, then 5 years. lol. Confusing or what and that's before the differing mileage limits?

kimptoc likes this.