1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

early adopter worry?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alam99, Feb 18, 2009.

1. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All,

Some of you may be in the same position that I am . . . I would like very much to purchase a 2010 Prius but am concerned that it could have mechanical issues (being a new "1st year" model) that could be avoided by buying a later model.

Maybe I'm just looking for a justification to buy . . . but here's what I did. I checked the government site Safercar.gov and looked up the recalls for all of the U.S. Prius models. Here's what I found out: Although the previous "1st year" models (2001, 2004) had recalls, so did the following model years (2002, 2005, 2006). Although the 2003, 2007, and 2008 models do not have any known recalls, it would mean having to wait perhaps 2-4 more years until the car becomes "rock solid".

I know this is not scientifically sound and not even statistically sound since there are so many other variables that could affect a car's quality, but this could mean that a 2010 model is as dependable as a 2011 or 2012 model. So, unless we're willing to wait for 2 or more years to own a 3G Prius, there isn't any real compelling reason to avoid the 2010 based on mechanical concerns. Perhaps we can hear from owners of 2001 and 2004 model year Prii? What went through your mind when you considered buying the new models? What has your experiences been with your cars?

I've summarized what I found out below. Safercar.gov has detailed information about these recalls.

2001 Prius had two recalls:
    1. Mfr's report date: 9/21/2000
    Steering: Gear Box (other than rack and pinion)
    potential number of units affected: 1772

2. Mfr's Report Date: JUL 18, 2006
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 34771

2002 Prius had one recall (carried over from 2001 model):
    1. Mfr's Report Date: JUL 18, 2006
    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 34771

2003 Prius had no recalls.

2004 Prius had three recalls:
    1. Mfr's Report Date: NOV 18, 2004
    Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 183090

2. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 28, 2006
    Component: AIR BAGS
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 133

3. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 30, 2006
    Component: STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 170856

2005 Prius had two recalls (carried over from 2004 model)
    1. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 28, 2006

2. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 30, 2006

2006 Prius had two recalls (carried over from 2004 model)
    1. Mfr's Report Date: MAR 28, 2006

2. Mfr's Report Date: MAY 30, 2006

2007 and 2008 Prii currently do not have any recalls.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Those of us who are purchasing are aware and generally willing to accept those risks. I was one of the first to experience the 2002 steering rack issues and had the rack replaced twice under warranty. Took 2-3 visits to ferret out the issue the first time around, but the second time, they knew what they were looking for, and (I believe) the part had been revised.

It's a cost of being first w/ the new toys. If that cost is too great for you, then my advice is to wait.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm buying 2010 without any fears or worries.

I look at Gen III as fixing most if not all the known issues and complaints with Gen II; particularly handling issues. If anything, it is a 7th year model. I know it's riding on a new platform, but the changes are evolutionary not revolutionary. This car and its basic design has been studied and researched to death. I would be very surprised if any major issues crop up. Seems to me even 2004 issues that came up weren't bad and were acknowledged and readily fixed by Toyota. Toyota does not really have the same reputation as other car manufacturers when it comes to 1st year models.

4. fookie

fookie "The Stig"

Toyota also seems to be very good at remedying known problems in cars, unlike other manufacturers.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's good remedy for the issues, however there is enough new tech in this car for some to be genuinely concerned. Where it counts though, I'm not worried at all.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I purchased in 2004, there were a few things that I was willing to accept: that Toyota usually has a good record for quality; that Toyota did not want a hybrid Edsel and would make sure that if something went wrong it would be repaired quickly and under warranty.

As it is, I have had no major problems with my car in four years. My radio stopped working and was repaired under warranty and once he acted strange in the parking lot. I have no early-adapter regrets. And if not that I can not justify trading in perfectly good Prius for another Prius, I would be all over that blue 2010 with the sunroof and solar panel.

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm selling the old RAV4 to get a new Prius so I'll still have the 2004. That's cool by me.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 and was subjected to the two recalls. Not an issue because they didn't inconvenience my in terms of operating the vehicle (i.e. I wasn't stranded while I had to book an appointment) and it's been reliable so far (had some issues, yes but they were only one-time occurences so I never took it to the dealer).

We also had a 2002 Camry that was subjected to a TSB... the washer fluid buoy had no holes in it so it would always read full lol. Only had one issue near the end of warranty and it had to do with some wiring associated with the A/C . Was a bit of an inconvenience cause it happened during summer.

So mechanically, they're sound.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I share the same concern. And recalls aren't the only indication of "first-year-model bugs." A manufacturer won't necessarily issue a recall or TSB, or even acknowledge them publicly, and instead might just quietly fix them -- the MFD issue on the 04/05 Prius is a case in point.

It's doubtful, however, that that would keep me from pulling the trigger on the 2010. If I buy one, I'll strongly consider an extended warranty, assuming it is still available at anything close to these prices.

Thanks for the research!

10. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will feel more comfortable with the 2011 or 2012 model. There's a lot of new technology in the gen III vs the gen II.
    Also, lithium batteries may become available in the next couple years, so I'd kick myself for buying a 2010 and learning that the 2011 has lithium :p

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dashboard material and the rear brakelight compound (black to chrome) are other two examples.

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Provided they learned from the 04/05 dash material (mine did warp) and brake light material (mine did melt), I'm ok w/ it.

Any thoughts on if an extended warranty would cover dash warpage?

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall your issues on those two items and that's why I brought it up. It hasn't been warm enough up here to actually melt or warp anything, thankfully.

you'd hope they've strengthen the plastic or something to reduce the chances of the plastics warping under extreme temperatures.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do what I did in late 2003 after the 2004 redesign was announced.

1. Find a good Prius enthusiast web site and join (check. Thanks a BILLION Danny!!)
    2. Read all the posts, especially those that might deal with 'issues'
    3. Decide after 7 months that there are no serious problems and plop down your deposit
    :)

Unlike an 'all new from the ground up model' like the Volt, a 2010 Prius is a 'improve things that work well mechanically because you figured out an even better way' new model. While I don't discount the possibility of small problems, the ones that pop up in the 'first rolled out' cars will likely be fixed in later 2010 cars. They certainly did that with the 2004 (the gas filler pipe comes to mind)

While I personally have serious issues with the cockpit ergonomic and functionality losses in the 2010, the "what makes the car go" stuff looks pretty darn good. If a 2010 is someone's first Prius they most likely won't have the same complaints since they won't know what they are missing.

If Toyota had been able to put the 2010 out as a 10 mile (minimum) PHEV and not screwed up the cockpit, they would have had an excellent chance of separating me from my money even though I figure my 2004 is good for at least 4 more years. I have NEVER gotten rid of a car that was less than 8 years old, 9 or 10 is more common. PHEV and the new cockpit, I'm not so sure. PHEV distance would have to be a lot longer than 10 miles before I could suck up the cockpit changes.

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2001 purchased Sept. 2000

2004 purchased Oct. 2003

2010 purchasing May/June 2009

As an early adopter for the third time, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a no-brainer for me. But with an engineering background, understanding why Toyota made certain decisions isn't that tough. Their approach makes sound market sense and their development process is pretty well established.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an issue with this logic, maybe you can clear this up for me.
    You wont get a 2010 because it's a new model with lots of untested new technology, that's fair enough, you don't know Toyota's reputation which was earned by making great, reliable cars from the first off the line to the last but that's fine. What I'm struggling with is it seems you would jump at a just released Lithium battery plug-in hybrid but not an evolution of the current car?
    Or I wonder would you hold off on that until that technology was tried and tested and then another new model was released? I want to find this out because I'm worried about making the wrong move myself. I'm the guy who hung off replacing my 1990 Camry wagon for 6 years because Toyota didn't sell a car that size in Australia any more.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    First I expect to have first model year 'teething problems.' If nothing else, there will be early assembly issues that will cause problems. This can be mitigated by an extended warranty or in my case, my engineering background. But looking at the likely areas, I'm finding most have been tested in the Lexus models and the engineering looks pretty solid. The only area I'm a little concerned about is cooled exhaust gas recirculation because it taps before the catalytic converters.

I'm acutely aware of the oil supply situation and the impact of gas prices on Prius prices. There is a real risk that a year or two from now, the price of fuel and other economic issues might drive the Prius prices way up. I would rather have the next Prius step in my possession than try to make a deal for a high demand, future Prius that is in short supply. (Hummm, if I could just buy two ...)

I currently have an NHW11 and though the NHW20 is nicer, the 2010 is a distinct step. It is tailored for the higher speeds of North American travel and cold weather. If I'm going to do any after market tweaks, I want to start from the best base, not try to extend any earlier model.

I eventually decided to go with the most basic version since that minimizes exposure to a lot of optional, new technology. I don't want a sun-roof or other system mucking up my ride. The other things are nice but I would rather someone else debug them.

Bob Wilson

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, I was pretty certain from the photos that the cooled exhaust happened AFTER the cats. Note the two cans prior to the coolant pipes. The one in question, however is AFTER the heat exchanger - another cat or a resonator?

[​IMG]

19. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, but then don't you have to wait a couple of years to make sure they're working properly?:p

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus