1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Early oil change to synth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by taaustin, Jul 5, 2005.

1. taaustin

taaustin New Member

I intend to run Mobil-1 in my 2005. I just picked it up this weekend and promptly drove a 500 mile round trip to see family for the 4th weekend. Between picking it up in Austin (I live an hour north) and a few other little trips I'm up to 850 miles in just four days.

Reading some posts encourages me to expect MPG improvements with synthetic oil. Is there any major benefit for my changing the oil early to get M-1 in the crankcase?

Oh yeah... Ray if you're reading this. Thanks for pointing out the site, and shame on you for encouraging my geekiness.

Terry

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I'd probably wait until your first oil change at 5K, to aid in break-in.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't move over to synth until the first scheduled oil change just because it is wasteful to change oil before it becomes used and dirty. However I see no issues to going to Mobil1 at your next scheduled change.

Break in on new vehicles is something of a thing of the past. There is a new vehicle period where you shouldn't stress it, however the engines are broken in on the test block before they are shipped off to be installed in actual vehicles.