1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Earth Observatory News: NASA News Archive

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jgills240, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    March 23, 2007

GRAVITY MEASUREMENTS HELP MELT ICE MYSTERIES

Greenland is cold and hot. It's a deep freezer storing 10 percent of Earth's ice and a subject of fevered debate. If something should melt all that ice, global sea level could rise as much as 7 meters (23 feet). Greenland and Antarctica - Earth's two biggest icehouses - are important indicators of climate change and a high priority for research, as highlighted by the newly inaugurated International Polar Year.

Just a few years ago, the world's climate scientists predicted that Greenland wouldn't have much impact at all on sea level in the coming decades. But recent measurements show that Greenland's ice cap is melting much faster than expected.

Grace measurements have revealed that in just four years, from 2002 to 2006, Greenland lost between 150 and 250 cubic kilometers (36 to 60 cubic miles) of ice per year. One cubic kilometer is equal to about 264 billion gallons of water. That's enough melting ice to account for an increase in global sea level of as much as 0.5 millimeters (0.019 inches) per year, according to Isabella Velicogna and John Wahr of the University of Colorado, Boulder. They published their results in the scientific journal Nature last fall. Since global sea level has risen an average of three millimeters (0.1 inch) per year since 1993, Greenland's rapidly increasing contribution can't be overlooked.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Mar 26 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]412367[/snapback]</div>
    That's almost enough ice to fill one of those Sam's Club soda cups. :lol:

Tom

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Life at a mile above sea level does have its advantages. ;)

4. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Mar 26 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]412414[/snapback]</div>
    yea, and i'm sure all that fresh water won't affect the saline level of the north Atlantic at all...

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    But you can't assume the melting rate will remain constant. It could accelerate.

I think the map I used with to either 9 meters or 12 meters. Can't remember. But I'm still safe. My house is on a plateau. (But Coronado is in the drink and Pt. Loma becomes an island. No more Lindbergh Field but we've still got three other airports. San Diego might get Miramar for a new airport yet.