1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

easier to get on coasts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by starla30, Jan 27, 2004.

1. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A friend of mine the other day observed that it seems most people who live on the East or West coasts buy foreign cars. And midwesterners generally buy American cars. We wondered if maybe there are more foreign car dealerships on the coasts because it's easier to ship foreign cars by ship to the coasts without the extra cost of carting them all over the country. So if this theory is true (and i wouldn't be surprised if it's not ;) ) than would that not make prii easier to get on the coasts?

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Plenty of foreign cars and foreign car dealers around here (Chicago Metro). Yet, I drive all over the area and have yet to see even one 2004 on the road and, in fact, I've only seen one Classic. Then, I'm in FL for less than a week and see two 04's. So, I'm not sure whether or not the proposition that "midwesterners generally buy American cars" is true but the hard-to-get foreign rides sure seem to be much more scarce in my locale.

3. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

I'm in Western MA and mine is the second Prii that lives here in town. There is a third Classic I've seen a few times also, but don't know where it lives.

I'd expect that Prii are mostly sold where folks have a higher propensity to be open to new technology, like for example in college towns or other areas known to be socially progressive. Of course now I've said that my town has neither a college nor is it particularly progressive. So much for that :)

Peace

4. jimvitz

jimvitz Junior Member

I've been seeing a few more around Chicago than before. Saw 3 classics over the weekend, and I followed a Tideland for about 15 minutes on Butterfield Road in the west burbs a couple of weeks ago. Saw my silver 04 yesterday parked on Garfield in Oak Park just a few blocks from my house. It was covered in salt spray and slush and looked beautiful.

5. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hey, jeffrey, out of curiosity... where did you get your prius? I live in western mass (amherst) as well though i ordered mine from north attleboro as it is right over the border from RI where my parents live and my father is helping me deal with the dealers. I'm just curious if you found a place round here that's good at getting them.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you observe isn't so much as a shipping issue. The "buy american" sentimint is much stronger in the midwestern states. This is also where the vast majority of our agriculture takes place, and these people tend to feel that they are doing more of a part to keep their hard earned money as well as jobs in the country.

GM has the truck plant in Arlington, TX. Consequently, as they are seen as a major employer for the area, there is a HUGE concentration of GM trucks in the local driveways.

I know that I for one would rather buy domestic products. However, the last domestic car I bought, the quality was so substandard, that I specifically looked at Toyota due to its reputation of consistent world class product quality.

So far, I must say that I have not been disappointed. My Saturn had been in the shop twice by 8,000 miles, and one of those was for an entire tranny replacement. I have 8700 miles on my 03 Prius now, and it's been in once for an oil change.

7. jeffrey

jeffrey New Member

Starla30- I bought my car from Northampton Toyota who were fine to deal with and seem to get their share for this area. I originally went into Lia Toyota in Wilbraham, offering to put down a deposit on the car, and ended up walking out and driving to Noho to order the car. It was a bit frustrating as I live in Wilbraham, but I will be taking the car to Noho for service. 'Nuf said :)

Peace