1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eat less and live longer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by tochatihu, Oct 2, 2018.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I allude to much study on calorie restriction and life extension while leaving the topic mostly untouched. But please do begin your investigations here:

ScienceDirect

Because this Graphical Abstract seems to break new ground in 'scientific' cartooning. Later, with interest, we might explore the actual topic.

2. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I watch the way "some" people allow their dogs and cats to eat, some keep them lean, knowing that their quality of life will be enhanced, longer lives, more enjoyment physically, and some just stuff them, but I've never correlated the humans to the animals in terms of the humans doing what they preach.
    Shame on the people that control the diet of their pets but not their own;)

BMI is a good gauge I hang around 24, and it's an ongoing Effort, but being able to physically interact with my environment pleases me, all things in moderation.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    eat more, and enjoy life!(y) either way, you're gonna wind up dead

m.wynn and Salamander_King like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Although well documented for non-human species, the efficacy of caloric restriction on human longevity and anti-aging effect is still speculative at best, IMHO. Live longer and healthier maybe the Holy Grail of human fulfillment, but at what cost? This planet is already at carrying capacity. Oh yes, according to Hawking, we need to colonize different planet within next 100 years or we are doomed. I am with @bisco. That said, I am totally against wasting food! Eat wisely and be happy.

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Not longevity, but weight loss. A lot of people report excellent weight-loss results by just fasting one or two days per week. The Today Show on NBC had a program some months back about this subject. And several books out. I'm all for trying it. It allows your digestive system (if not your whole body) to have a day of rest and healing.

I don't succeed all the time, but I do try and not eat at least one day a week. I actually feel much better. I might just have some coffee & juice on the fast day. And of course water. Not trying to live longer, but it certainly won't hurt to drop a few pounds, and feel more comfortable... while I'm on my way to being dead. :LOL:

#5 Starship16, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was old is new again.
    Last week it was the Keto diet, and now.....suddenly.....it's fasting, something that I've been hearing about in Sunday school for decades.

My Damascus Road Moment came when my cholesterol ratios started to suffer, despite being moderately active and struggling furiously to maintain military BMI and physical fitness norms. Since I refuse to take statens or any other pharmaceutical wonder drug regularly, I decided to adopt a scorched-earth battle with cholesterol...as in a completely cholesterol-free diet except some Trader-Joe's fishy capsules.

So far (after most of a year) I can report that 2 follow-on calcium score/cholesterol test show definitive results putting me squarely back into the 'optimum' range. I can also report a redoubling of my loathing for militant Vegans as I'm a herbivore but I will indulge occasionally in egg whites, FF milk, and squished fish in tablets.
    Gauged and sleeved millennials however will still sneer at me calling me a 'peskatarian' - which I find to be ironic.
    I do give veggies due credit for one thing.
    They're such an intolerable PITA that grocery stores and restaurants have a veritable cornucopia of cholesterol-free foods that I can indulge in - but this freedon comes with a huge price tag......
    I have to occasionally ask for a Vegan entree which in the Deep South is like wearing a MAGA hat in downtown LA.

Here's what I think I know:
    (YMMV)

Mostly?
    It's calories in -v- calories out, genetics, and THEN what you eat and when.
    Our manufacturer designed the human animal to be a fairly flexible, adaptable, omnivore.
    Yeah....you can do a pump-fake with today's "keto" diet (which is essentially a re-warmed leftover Atkin's plan) but generally speaking the adaptability of the human will assert itself and pretty soon you're going to be digging around in the bottom of your closet looking for your "fat" (i.e. "normal) clothes.
    If you're going to change something.....I'd pick exercise over diet 10 times out of 10, and then I'd start looking into your feeding habits to see if there are some corners that can be rounded out.
    I know veggies who eat large Micky-D's french fries for lunch, drive to their mailboxes to get the morning paper, and struggle to maintain a two-digit BMI. Of course we all also know people who smoke like John Wayne, drink like a New England Senator, and eat like our current POTUS who are still disgustingly fit and active.

The mortality rate for humans is still 100% so I think I'll have some fries instead of my paleo-pesketarian salad and skip today's run.....

...you only live (here) once.....:D

RobH, davecook89t and Merkey like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Planning on trying the fast day plan myself.

8. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Also, just a simple brisk daily walk helps a great deal. This old man looks forward to those morning walks. :) I don't need any fancy exercise equipment, or a gym contract. (I hate those crowded stinky gyms.) I Just really need to keep moving. Especially after 3 back surgeries. A lot less computer time, and a lot more exercise & walking!

Afterall, how much more can we possibly say about a Prius?! :ROFLMAO:

#8 Starship16, Oct 2, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was looking at the gundry diet the other night. it is hard to understand how an internationally famous pedal cardiac surgeon can leave his practice to hawk pseudo scientific diet supplements.
    (aside from the billions of dollars)

Starship16 likes this.
  10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hope I never reach the point where I am 100% relying on pills to keep me kicking. But age takes its toll. My folks were walking drug stores when they got into their 80s. I hated seeing that, but they were trying to maintain just getting through each day. I dislike the drug-pushing doctors, and the perks and rewards they get from Big Pharma.

This morning's walk. I never get tired of the view. It's a 13 mile drive to get there, so the Prius gets a little exercise, and so do I. :) Maybe I only do 30 or 45 minutes, but thankful to do something every day. (In the past, I needed a walker or cane to get around.) And now I'm dreaming of Pizza! I can fast next week. :cautious:

IMG_1232.jpg

#10 Starship16, Oct 2, 2018
    davecook89t likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Worth the drive!

I still have to go down to the Gulf every now and again......even when I don't really have a "good" reason to do so.

....Just to make sure it's still there.

Starship16 likes this.
  12. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Exercise isn't going to lose weight, dietary restriction is.
    Exercise is great for the heart and lungs and flexion.
    Processed sugar is the most addicted to substance on the planet.

All things in moderation.

Merkey and Starship16 like this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Man, it is so hard to lose weight as I got older. I've cut my eating in half, and purposely don't keep much food in the house, and usually only eat once per day... and I still can't lose a freakin' pound. And now fasting on Sundays. :ROFLMAO: How do those mice do it?

#13 Starship16, Oct 2, 2018
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fruits and vegetables? that goes against everything doc gundry stands for. can't we just get a pill?

#15 bisco, Oct 2, 2018
    m.wynn and Starship16 like this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had some broccoli and prunes today. There is just something really wrong about that! :LOL: So I ate a chocolate donut.

I'm ok with aging. But I just hope to do it with as little problems as possible. I hope to keep fairly active until I buy the farm...... :(

#16 Starship16, Oct 2, 2018
    bisco likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    avoid the deadly nightshades

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Fusetin is sold by chemical supply companies. Just like the glassware you don't want to buy.

But as with much of the vast literature around this topic, it is unresolved wither the chemical itself 'works' in absence of others in the same food. Whether it works in concert with the microbiome that eating such stuff promotes in your intestines.

One-molecule focus is not perfectly suitable for complex biological systems.

18. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: (y)

bisco likes this.
  19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I travel a lot for a living and I always notice the much-smaller portions sold by restaurants outside the USA. But then, when I'm working on the road domestically it's almost automatic that I stop at the halfway mark and bail out on any given plate.