1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

eBay key fobs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Rangerdavid, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I seem to have lost one of my key fobs..... After all the horror stories I've heard about the hundreds and hundreds of dollars it costs to get a new one and have it programed. Then I saw several on eBay for around $75 !!

Assuming these are for real, what does it cost to have them programed by the dealer to work with my Prius?? Any help is appreciated! :D

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 7 2007, 02:28 AM) [snapback]535612[/snapback]</div>
    I would be suspicious of fobs for sale on eBay, depending on the source. You don't know what happened to them to cause them to be posted. If they are offered by a private party, you might inquire about them; if they are offered via a dealer, they're probably ok. There may also be computer protocol changes from model year to model year and you should check with your dealer about that before you plunk down 75 bucks for something that won't work in your car.

If you do decide to buy one, you can get it programmed at your dealer, but he will need all of your other fobs at the same time, not just the single fob you want reprogrammed. The reason is that each of your separate fobs uses a different frequency, and they all are recognized by your car provided all frequencies are entered into the car's computer at the time of programming. It should cost you about fifty bucks and should be something that can be done while you wait, assuming you have an appointment with the dealer.

3. prius2go

prius2go Member

I thought it was the other way around
    You have to choose a fob with either a black or silver logo to suit your car
    Then you need to teach the car the transmisison from the fob
    instructions somewhere on this site

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    depends on the dealer, some will try to overcharge, but they should be charging about .5 hours for the job. (~$45)

some dealerships have had a hard time programming a used fob, so bear that in mind when purchasing online. DH has programmed some that customers brought in and no problems, but he didn't specifically ask if they were purchased used.

5. Bear68

Bear68 Member

A word of caution here. If you have SKS, do not buy a fob if you cannot verify the source! The reason is this, Smart Key fobs can be programmed only ONCE! Once the fob has been programmed to work a specific Prius, it CANNOT be programmed to work anoter vehicle!

Also, a silver symbol on the back signifies SKS. A black symbol is non SKS. SKS fobs CAN be programmed to operate a non SKS car. :blink: The tech will program the immobiliser and keyless entry portions and they will both work just fine. A NON SKS obiviously can only work with non SKS cars. They can be programmed to work multiple cars. Kind of a nice feture if you have two non SKS Prii. One fob can operate both cars.

If you have SKS, use caution buying fobs off the web. Make sure they have a return policy.

6. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bear68 @ Nov 10 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]537741[/snapback]</div>

I agree with you. I have 1st hand experience.We traded for an 05 in May that only had one. I thought I saved by buying one off of eBay for $50. Dealer then charged me $35 to tell me that it couldn't be programmed. It could be programmed to open the doors, but not start the car. Buy new!

7. tree

tree New Member

I bought one (uncut) through a seller called "remotehub" on ebay. They had a return policy and excellent communication (always ask questions first and read feedback thoroughly).

I had a positive experience which saved me a bundle — just took it to a Toyota dealer for programming ($45cdn), works like a charm...

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I got a silver-back SKS fob from eBay vendor oldbay, $ 60 US. At this time of year I can't get the right kind of dead squirrel for the DIY programming, so I took it to the dealer. Dealer estimated $35 US to program a new key, didn't need all the existing keys, just one good one. After spending over an hour wrestling around with it the tech wrote:

"Programmed spare key to vehicle and key will not accept smart start part of operation. Key did program for manual start. Must be inserted in dash to start vehicle. Remote side of key for door locks not programmable. Will not open or lock doors."

It cost me ninety dollars US to find this out. 8-(

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    the service department at our local Boone Toyota told my wife yesterday that a new fob and programing it for our Prius would be about $225.00, possibly more..... What the heck?? I just think that's too much.:eek:

10. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Been there, done that...

Smart keys may be the way of the future, but right now they are a very expensive toy - and most service departments just don't have the knowledge on how to deal with them (I guess in all fairness only a small portion of buyers lose or break the keys). We also have a 2007 Mazda MX-5 with Smart keys, and sure enough my wife lost one of them. Cost me $140 to buy a replacement off eBay, then 2 HOURS of labor at the Mazda dealer because they had never programmed one before. Total cost, over $400.

The moral of the story is: don't lose them. I also stuck a 'Reward if found' sticker on each unit, with my phone number.

11. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just hope the phone number is not associated with either your home or work addresses. Any listed number is subject to reverse look-up on line (just enter ten digits into Google and check the result), so please don't advertise some address where you might actually keep the car.

12. Ethereal

Ethereal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Really? That sucks, since I was hanging on to the surviving SmartKey from my tragically departed 2007. I figured the mechanical key would have to be re-cut from a fresh blank, but do I understand correctly that all the electronic magic in the fob is forever wedded to a no-longer-existing Prius? :(

13. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My local Toyota dealer want's $250 for the key, $100 to program and $100 to lazer cut the mechanical key.

I think $225 sounds pretty good in comparison.

~buttster

14. MattFL

MattFL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Try www.trdparts4u.com for buying the key. This is a Texas dealer who I've bought parts from many times (never a key though..) and they have good prices a good service. If you don't see the part on their web site, send an email and they'll send you pricing and availability.

15. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I had been wondering where bear68 got that information. My impression is that the car is taught to recognize the key, that the car does not know or care how many other cars accept that key.

16. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that you are right. It seems to me that each fob would have a unique number that no other fob has. During programming the car is taught that number and ignores all others.

But it is also possible that in the initial programming of the key the cars ID is stored in write-once memory (if there is such a thing) never to be reused again.

But also, my impression is that nobody really knows, outside of a few Toyota engineers, exactly how the smartkey system programming really works. I talked to a guy today who said that during the proramming process, the service person has to call Toyota to give and get some information. I just wish I knew more. I was a computer programmer for 28 years so the wheels in my head spin. I wish I knew more, but I don't think that Toyota wants anybody to.

~buttster

17. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your wish is granted. It is Christmas time.
    This article gives you the general concept of PKE (passive keyless entry)
    http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle....JL12GQQSNDLPSKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=187002723
    Toyota's smart key system is made by
    http://www.tokai-rika.co.jp/en/products/vehicle/ss.html#ss02
    (scroll down to the bottom photo - do you see your smart key? :D)

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Most of the smart keys use Microchip's KEELOQ chip, or something very similar. Google KEELOQ for more information.

Tom

19. Bear68

Bear68 Member

I had to get the info from experiance. Our used car department had collected 3 or 4 fobs from cars that were sold and the fobs had been misplaced then turned up later. They graciously gave them to the parts department to be used for future used Prii. We then discovered through trial and error that the keys couls only be reprogrammed for the transponder portion. The Smart key functions would not be accpeted by the cars. It took quite some time to first discover why a fob would not program and then quite some time to convince the various managers involved that we (the techs) actually knew what we were talking about!

BTW the little mechanical key can be cut on most standard key machines. It is NOT like the Avalon, Camry, or Lexus style keys with an internal type pattern that require laser cutting. Prius mechanical keys are also not a hardened metal like factory immobiliser keys are for other Toyota models. Those are such a hard metal that an inexperianced parts person may have trouble getting an accurate cut. Dealers should have a computerized cutting machine which uses the key code to cut the key without needing to trace another key. That way all the keys are identical instead of being a copy of a copy and so forth.

20. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I took the advice to go with "remotehub" on eBay, and I must say I'm delighted. The price was right (non-SKS key fob, gently used with a new uncut mechanical key) and it was speedy delivery. The dealer programmed it for $50. Works like a charm for locking and unlocking and starting. Thanks for the advice!:)