1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

eBay Smart Key?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by natural_tools, Jul 21, 2005.

1. natural_tools

natural_tools New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just browsing eBay for fun and noticed someone is selling the smart key. Is it possible to just buy any replacement key and have it reprogrammed? That would be considerably cheaper than buying from the dealer.

Just curious.

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, but programming is between $100-200 per key (it's somewhere on this forum)

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

Actually, I've seen new key estimates on Priuschat in the $131 range to $200 range to buy the key.

But most programing estimates seem to be in the $40 to $50 range.

However, those programming estimates are when you bought the key from the same place. If you bring a key in from elsewhere, there could easily be a higher price for the programming.

And remember the new key needs the old key to be programmed. So if you lose both keys, the cost includes a new computer part. Expect it in the $1000 range.

Read Godiva's post in this thread for the $131 dollar key.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/smart-key-spar...res-vt8616.html

4. kjdunlap

kjdunlap Three Prii family 2013 V, 2013 C and a 2005.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kjdunlap\";p=\"109796)</div>
    You need a dealer scantool to program the key - it can't be done without it (on current generation-2 models that is).

It's also important to note that there are TWO different keys for the 2nd generation Prius - for those with Smart Entry/Smart Start, and those without. And they're apparently NOT compatible (if you get the wrong one, you will not be able to get it programmed - I read some guy on the Yahoo group chat who that said he got a non-SE/SS key for his SE/SS Prius and it wouldn't work)

As I recall, the regular keys have a black Toyota logo on them, and the SE/SS keys have a silver Toyota logo... But I could be wrong.

Dave

6. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, &amp; Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG\";p=\"109817)</div>
    This is incorrect. I have previously posted the instructions here which were taken from Toyota documentation.

Its complicated sequence with lots of time restrictions, but it can be done.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(victor\";p=\"110017)</div>
    Are you sure? I have the service manuals for the THS2 Prius and it says that you need the scantool to do the programming. I know there's a manual method for the 2003 and older models, but it won't work with the new ones (added level of security?).

Dave

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

There are 2 - 3 functions of the fob: Immobilizer, wireless door lock remote, and SKS. The SKS and remote use similar sequences, but the immobilizer is completely a separate sequence. One of those you might be able to do without the scanner, but not the other.

Also, it isn't the key that is programmed, but the car that is programmed to recognize the key's code, much like a rolling code garage door opener.