1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EBH Installed Now What??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NYPrius1, Jan 1, 2008.

1. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK Guys, EBH installed. How long should it be on before heading out the door?
    Can it be left on overnight?? Any benefit to heating up the block overnight VS a few hours before leaving in the AM?
    Thanks

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    They say 3 hours on a timer. I don't have a timer so just plug in before going to bed.

3. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Neicy,
    Thanks.;)
    BUT Any benefit to overnight warm up vs 3 hours? :eek:
    Or for that matter 2 vs 3 hours?? :eek:
    Thanks

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's long, but it's worth looking through THIS THREAD for a good understanding of the EBH and its use.

5. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evan,
    Took the time to raed all the post. VERY VERY Long.
    So the answer is 3 hours.

Your Answer "I've decided to bury my head in the sand a little bit and not get too caught up in the thing. It's clear that the EBH uses a steady amount of energy whether the ICE is warm or cold the entire time it is on. It is also clear that the ICE doesn't get much warmer than about 135 degrees no matter how long you leave the heater plugged in. It's also clear that it gets up close to 135 degrees in as little as 3 hours.

Thus, there's little benefit to leaving it on all night. Buy a nice little digital timer and have it come on about 3 hours before you plan to leave each morning.

I do leave it plugged in constantly while at work, but I don't want to risk leaving a timer out in the open to be stolen or to deal with the hassel of reprogramming it every day I work since I work varying times/shifts."
    Thanks So Much!!

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have mine installed on a timer as well. I set it to come on about 4:00 a.m. so by the time I leave for work it will be warmed up. 135 is about right, I can't recall ever seeing it get much warmer than that, and depending on the outside air temp, that will drop down to 95 or 100 or so as I drive away.

The EBH really does help on the first 5 minute bar, and thus on overall gas mileage. I also think it is good for the vehicle to start driving it with the block warmed up, especially on those really cold days!! Its supposed to be 8 degrees here the next two or three nights, so I know a warm car in the morning will be helpful!

7. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks!!
    I got it for the MPH improvement and also for heat to be ready sooner.
    Happy New Year!!

8. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: EBH Installed First Test Run

Had the EBH plugged in for about 2 1/5 hours. Took a short trip (8 miles ) to the store. My first 5 minn bar usually shows 20-25 MPG.
    This time it shows 40-45 MPG for the first bar.
    So I can attest to the fact that the EBH will help in winter and on short trips.