1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EBH Nightmare

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jvierra, Feb 23, 2008.

1. jvierra

jvierra Junior Member

I just came inside from trying to install my EBH. I could scream!! I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, but could not complete the install. The reason I'm writing is to ask couple of questions. I followed instructions that I found on Priuschat. They were very well written and easy to follow. I put my car up on ramps and climbed under. I looked at the pictures in the instruction and there was a hole right behind the boot. I thought this going to be easy. I greased up the EBH and slid it in, but it would never click in place. Turns out it was the wrong hole! See picture below. This leads to my first question. The hole I tried to put it in is full of grease. I'm assuming since the hole was open to the elements that is won't cause a problem, but I wanted to check with the experts on this site. Once I finally got the EBH installed I could never get the cable on. I ended up removing the EBH for now which leads to me second question. What should I get to replace the grease when I’m ready to try again?

Thanks

IMG_0059.JPG

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Deep breath...you're not the first to do that.
    Thing is, if you can see the hole, esp. if you can see it well enough to photograph it...it's the wrong hole.

Identify the internal combustion engine...you need to be sure it's going into that, not the inverter/MG assembly which is what it looks like you photographed.

The Grease won't harm anything.
    Be sure to look at the various photos posted with the instruction and esp, at Hobbit's site to get a better idea of where the hole is. It's very hard to reach, very akward to get the core into, and even more akward to get the plug onto the core once it's in. If it's easy it's wrong.

3. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think any silicone heat transfer grease would work.

4. jvierra

jvierra Junior Member

Thanks for all the help everyone. Make me feel better that I wasn't the first. Well maybe not. :) I found this on google. Silicone Heat Transfer Compound. Would that work?

Silicone Heat Transfer Compound

5. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hang in there! I agree, if you can see it it is the wrong hole. If you lay on your back with your feet out the front of the car, directly under the ICE (passenger side), with a bright flash light, you can see the BULGE that the EBH fills running horizontally (left to right) and about 3.5 inches long. Locate this bulge WITH YOUR LEFT HAND and feel your way to the left to find the hole. Get to know this area intimately! Close your eyes, and use your imagination to picture the area. Feel the ridge the clip will snap on to! Practice with your middle finger (I know it is weird but you love your Prius don't you?), then practice inserting (but not snapping the clip) the heater. Lube that baby up and slip 'er in and press firmly to get that confirming "SNAP" of the clip and you did it!

You will think you have found God after the confirming SNAP of the clip! Shouts of joy will replace the cursing on your lips! Your bloodied hand will show the battle scars of the victor in the EBH install!::clap2:

Lee:cool:

6. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, I am getting real excited reading that description. Be sure to hold of on finally snapping it in until you are sure your Prius is completely satisfied. Don't be an EBH inserter that is all done in less than five minutes and then falls asleep under the car leaving the Prius wanting something more.

7. jvierra

jvierra Junior Member

WOW!! i'm going to run out and try again. you make it sound like fun. Though I'm not sure if I'm going to try from the bottom this time. Does anyone have directions on doing it from the top. After you finish laughing I would like to have directions on installing from the top.

8. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :rolleyes:I didn't really mean my post above to be so suggestive, but I was enjoying a good glass of Merlot whilst posting!

Search the threads on PriusChat as I remember someone who posted excellent instructions and pictures to do the install from "on top"

Lee

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You need the EBH Kamasutra. It clearly describes all of the positions that can be used with an adult, consenting EBH. I particularly like #47, but it takes practice to do it without getting cramps.

Tom

10. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Surveys indicate that most Prius prefer you move from the top to the bottom two or three times during the installation. Yes, position #47 is a favorate for many Prius.

11. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel your pain! I had to go in from the top, for I too was getting pissed and discouraged. Search my old posts, and you'll see that someone hooked me up with Hobbit's solution of going in from the top. Took me about 1 hour 20 mins, from start to finish.

12. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Senior Fjord Architect

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was the one who learned from Master Hobbit, and passed that wisdom on. Because it was so cold that day, I took my time; almost two hours. First, I removed the wipers, then took off the cowl. Rebecca was frisky that day and scratched me quite a bit. I positioned myself just right to find the sweet spot with my hand, practiced a few times to get a feel for things, then greased up the EBH and it went right in. Of course, I pulled my shoulder in the process, and it took several days to heal, but it was all worth it.

13. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I must be a moron... What's an "EBH"?

Curious,

mitch

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    EBH: engine block heater. It pre-warms your ICE so that you get better MPG in winter.

15. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't understand how the EBH can heat up the ICE without melting it?

16. Tchou

Tchou Member

Because it uses special heat designed By NASA which have the property to heat up ICE without melting it...

Unless ICE means Internal Combustion Engine...
    :D

17. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, ok... Luckily I have a garage, at home, and at work, I've never had an issue. But I do understand for those of you living in the frozen great white north :)

mitch

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's ICE 9.

Tom

19. davidtm

davidtm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I attempt this kind of humor at home, by daughters just roll their eyes.

God, I love you people! :D