1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EBH practicality in Southeastern USA.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dwreed3rd, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've searched the posts and apologize if this is redundant, but I'm looking for advice on the EBH. I'm originally from Pennsylvania and definitely can see the advanges for having one, at lease in the winter. I also spent 8 weeks in Rochester. Minn., and was definiteley aware if it's value there. We now live in the Metro Atlanta, Ga. area. Our 2 car garage is attached to the house and insulated although not heated.
    -------High/Low
    Winter 50 29
    Summer 88 67
    Record 102 -10
    This is according to the weather channel. However, temperatures have been running consistantly above averages lately.
    The questions are: Given our temperatures, would the hassle of plugging and unplugging the EHB be worth the benefits. Is it the worth it even in the warmer zones just for reducing engine wear on cold start-ups. Or would it be sufficient to use it only when temperatures are expected to drop below a certain value. The reason I ask is that, because of our hilly topography, I'm sure the ICE will kick in shortly after leaving the garage even with an EBH. It will probably use a good % of the battery just to get up and out of the driveway and it's uphill for the next mile. It's not the cost. It's going to be my wife's car and I'm really concerned about the discipline involved in remembering to plug and unplug. We're also senior citizens, and for those that can identify, the first thing on our mind, after pulling into the garage, is probably not going to be the EHB.
    Thanking everyine in advance for any enlightenment in this area.

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I use mine year-round. My feeling is that as long as the outside air temperature is less than 185F, then there is a benefit.

3. eurosteve

eurosteve Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I can't comment on the outside air temperature question. I live in upstate New York where the temperatures get much colder in winter. But I just bought an EBH (haven't installed it yet) primarily because I also have a steep uphill - for 3 miles - almost immediately after I leave my driveway. I'm concerned about the wear and tear on the engine of this uphill gradient while the ICE is fairly cold. So I think it's good logic to have the EBH for use year round. I plan to use it on a timer that turns it on about 4 hours before my daily departure for work. Whether we'll remember to unplug it is another issue.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whether it's "worth the hassle" is up to you, depending on how much fuel it saves you. I would still use it year round, and I do so in these parts when I have somewhere to plug it in. I'd rather my block start out at 140-150F than at 70-80F; it still helps fuel economy in the first five to ten minutes.

5. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the input. The "forgetting to unplug" is my concern, although there are probalby ways to make it more difficult to forget. The other problem is my wife's start time varies all over the A.M. I'm just trying to be honest with myself. If it's not a really must do in my own mind, I'll probably, consciously or unconsciously, forget to plug it in and set the timer. And, if it's not a daily habit, well it may get forgotten. There's always the old method, back in the days of carburetors and chokes, of just taking a few minutes to let it warm up before driving off and putting a load on the engine. I'm talking warm weather option, not cold weather, say over 50 degrees. You'd sacrafice a little gas mileage, but if it saves on wear and tear of the engine I can live with that. However, with an all synthetic motor oil, I wonder if this is even necessay. Oh well! Decisions, decisions, they make life interesting.

Thanking everyone for the input.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If it's warm out I doubt you will be successful getting the engine to run more than 20 sec at startup, so you'd probably not be warming it up by letting it idle. The thermos will get it up to about 40C if driven the day before and in 20 sec it will reach 48-55C and will shut down.

Be aware, the block is pretty much fully warmed up after driving a few (as in two) blocks. Especially in warmer weather.

I live in "real winter" country and I never use my block heater, as I can't predict when I'm going to drive the car (I'm retired).

Some further points to consider.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live where you do, Atlanta. I find the EBH very useful during the winter months. Instant heat upon startup, smoother, easier engine operation upon startup, and quicker stealth and glide ability: ie, fuel savings

8. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I use my EBH if the night temp is below 50. I have a timer & can set it to turn on. Since I'm retired, there's no where I HAVE to go most mornings, so if I haven't set the timer, I go out & turn it on manually an hour or so before I leave. Drape the extension cord over the driver's side mirror - that will remind you to unplug before you leave. I also got a bright yellow extension cord that has a lighted plug when energized - very visible.