1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECM and Gas Tank Replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bturner425, Jun 19, 2009.

1. bturner425

bturner425 New Member

Not sure if this has been brought up or not. I searched and did not find anything. Anyway, this week my 2001 Prius display lit up and the flashing red was under the Hybrid warning symbol. The car would not go and I had to park it and have it towed to the Toyota dealer. The gas engine would run but when I stepped on the gas pedal the car would not go. They checked it out and said I had to replace the gas tank and the ECM (ECU?). This is the second time this has happened. The last time was at 56,000 miles. Fortunately the first time it happened the gas tank was replaced under a "good will" warranty for free. This time it cost me $2.000 by the time it was all added up. Has anyone else had this problem? Why would the gas tank need to be replaced twice in my car? The car has 118,000 miles and has not needed any major repairs except these and the steering gear recall.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Brian,

It's too late now since you've already had the work done. However, had you asked us ahead of time, I would have suggested that you replace the engine ECU (aka ECM) only. You can probably find a salvage unit for $400 or so. If you are interested in details, search for TSB EG011-03.

The reason that the fuel tank was replaced is because the fuel pump is an integral component. However unless the tech had measured fuel line pressure and found it to be below spec (see the cited TSB above) there is no reason to replace the fuel tank.