1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECM communication circuit C1203

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hassan Ali Beg, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Hassan Ali Beg

Hassan Ali Beg New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    (Prius 2011) I have replaced ABS Modulator, completed the air bleeding with techstream. I got 3 codes, C1203
    ECM communication circuit /EV ECU Communication Circuit, C1336 Zero point Calibration of Deceleration Sensor undone C1345 Linear Solenoid valve offset Learning undone.
    I have performed to offset the linear valve but every time after 60 Second the flashing ABS light, traction light had been stopped flashing. After few attempts the code C1336 and C1345 disappeared but C1203 code is still on and the car is not starting yet.
    Please help

2. J M Bowman

J M Bowman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having this exact same issue.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. kirill626

kirill626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    And one more with exact same issue after replaced ABS Modulator brand new from dealer and got stuck with the same errors. It is not possible to do anything further because there are existing errors - calibration is impossible with them. 1203 doesn't allow it, I think.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1203 is a weird 'un. What it mainly means is the skid ECU doesn't feel like it's installed in the right car model, based on ID information it is getting from the power management control ECU, the ECM, and the yaw/acceleration sensor. Which sounds like a pretty big headache.

But there's also a "HINT" in the manual that C1203 will be output in any case before the linear solenoid offset has been learned the first time. So it evidently isn't supposed to stop you trying the offset learning, and if that works, the code can go away.

kirill626 likes this.
  5. kirill626

kirill626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Spent a lot of time yesterday. A new master cylinder was purchased from the dealer. Due to error C1203, I was forced to remove all ECUs from the car and check their P/N. Didn't find any problems. But I found the damaged wire from the parking brake switch at the moment when I removed the fuse box for inspection .
    The alarm installers mistakenly put their clip on the wrong wire, and when they tried to remove it, they damaged the wire. I removed the alarm when I bought the car and did not notice the damaged wire. I don’t use the parking brake; I didn’t know that the light didn’t light up.
    As a result, at 3 am I finally completed the calibration and everything is fine now.
    It’s bad that Toyota’s good program doesn’t give any hints as to why it can’t perform the operation.

6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you saying you didn't need the brake parts? It was the wire???

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the solenoid offset learning is sensitive to whether the parking brake is on, so a problem in that circuit may prevent completing the learning. And then the C1203 doesn't go away. Sounds like kind of a flukey story, but flukey things happen.

kirill626 likes this.
  8. kirill626

kirill626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The short story is this: I bought a 2011 Prius with a big hole in the block. I installed a used engine from Ebay from 2021 Corolla HY engine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/256388551001 It's a long story, but everything worked out well in the end. Then it turned out that there were no codes, but the brake pump turned on every 10-15 seconds. I have come across this many times before - the master cylinder needs to be replace. I spent a month trying to buy a used cylinder on Ebay but only 1 seller from Colorado sent me the cylinder. The rest refused. After installation I got 1203. Spent a few days and couldn't get it to run properly. Next thing you know. I bought a new one from the dealer.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, but what about the wire that was cut? What was/is that about?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From reading the posts, the car was repressurizing every 10-15 seconds, so there was a legitimate need to replace the unit. But the replacement unit was posting a C1203 code that wouldn't go away—because it doesn't, if the solenoid offset learning can't be completed, and that apparently couldn't be completed because of a faulty parking brake signal, because of a wire that had been damaged by alarm installers mistakenly attaching a tap connector and then removing.

Again, it sounds like the kind of flukey one-off story that isn't going to inspire choruses of "oh yeah, that's the exact problem in my Prius too!" (unless everybody takes their Prii to the same alarm installers, who never learn from their mistakes), but it seems to be the story for this one anyway.

kirill626 likes this.
  11. kirill626

kirill626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you ChapmanF. You are absolutely right.

This is, of course, a completely different discussion but I thought that there would be interest in the topic of replacing the engine from a ’21 Corolla. The engine had partially damaged or missing parts. And even when I solved this problem, I immediately could not solve the cooling issue and was forced to understand in detail the design of the cooling system and discovered a lot of new things.
    As a result, I was forced to replace the main computer on this Prius due to incorrect data for the operation of the water pump. The pump speed was too high and the temperature was too low - which caused cavitation and circulation stopped. It took me a week to understand what was happening. But now I know everything))))

12. YotaWorxs

YotaWorxs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has happened to when I used a Regular Prius abs Module on a Prius V model, used parts. Basically wrong part, Prius c also has its own part all look almost identical but they are different. Also I order to do linear offset calibration when the part is new you have to perform the air bleeding with the scanner in order for the computer to unlock the system and let you do the calibration. This is what I have experienced in my history of working on Prius.