1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco Bar

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jwads, Sep 24, 2009.

1. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can someone explain the four stages of the Eco bar? The far left is when your adding power to the battery, but then there are two bars in the middle, a greyish and a white. In my experience, being in the grey bar gives you instant 100 MPG, and in the white is a proportion of 100 MPG. Then the far right side is adding power, and MPG goes to 0.

Do I have this right?

Thanks

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think you are talking about the Hybrid System Indicator:
    [​IMG]

• ECO - means the car in 'economical' mode and goes out when the engine provides a high level of power
    • PWR - means the engine is in a higher power mode, about 23.4 hp or more from the hybrid system
    • CHG - is charging the battery from regenerative braking
    • 75% - appears to be about 15.3 hp, where I have the small, yellow plastic tape marker
    Check the archives under HSI and you'll find the earlier reports. Hobbit was curious and I used GPS measurements to calculate the wheel power levels:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

3. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So what do the two sides of the big bar mean?

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The big bar is a non-linear, power scale and the center divider is just 'nice' but otherwise of little good. Ken@Japan posts that the Japanese drivers like to use the lower 25% for 'glide' and upper 25% for 'pulse.'

I was only interested in understanding the relative amount of power being requested. Hobbit was curious too so I used two metrics:

• acceleration as a function of power bar setting
    • hill climb speed as a function of power bar setting
    What I haven't tried to do is figure the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption at these different power settings. It is easy enough to do with a GPS and the now calibrated trip meter. However, these power regions don't really interest me.

I'm more interested in BSFC in the "PWR" region using "P" "W" and "R" as the scales. If there is a BSFC 'knee in the curve,' it could be very useful to understand how much we can apply without having to worry about excessive fuel consumption.

One tricky aspect is the traction battery SOC needs to be monitored during these tests. It turns out that traction battery starting SOC can have a major impact on the results. A cleaner method will be to monitor MG1 current and map the torque. This in turn allows a more accurate measurement of ICE power and with injector timing and pulses, actual BSFC without having to worry about traction batter SOC.

Bob Wilson

5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Doesn't there have to be a "knee" in the curve? If you designed it wouldn't you put the knee right at the point at which the display turns red? I don't want to sound stupid, but doesn't it turning red mean something? Why red? Isn't red normally used to designate an undesirable range of operation? Maybe I'm giving Toyota too much credit, but I think they picked red to indicate you are in a range you don't want to be in. The ECO light extinguishing was my second clue:confused:

6. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh and maybe I'm imagining this, but the non linearity of the HSI seems to be speed related. Butt Dyno indicates that there is more power being applied at higher speeds in the same region of the HSI. Butt Dyno's are terribly unreliable though. It could be simply that the ICE is at higher RPM's, but power output could be the same?
    We need a fuel flow meter don't we?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What we need is a dang chart in the Owner's manual showing fuel consumption as a function of HSI bar setting. <grumble grumble>

Fortunately, there are enough engineering type Prius owners that it become more of a "what will I do today" versus cursing the darkness.

Bob Wilson