1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco mode in PIP--advice please

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by oswaldjacoby, May 8, 2012.

1. oswaldjacoby

oswaldjacoby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would love some advice about how to best use Eco mode in the PIP. Is there any point to eco mode when you are in EV?

2. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to confirm if ECO mode works with EV mode. I tried driving in EV with ECO on and was able to get 1-2 miles more.

3. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had "ECO" on since day 1, it used to just change the gas pedal "feel" and delay engine start a bit longer on my 2010 Prius, not exactly sure what it's doing on the PiP, but I am getting great MPG...

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ECO mode reduces the input sensitivity of you "drive by wire" gas pedal.
    In other words, for any given depression of the gas pedal, ECO mode reduces the power demand input to the car's ecu.

It makes it easier to reduce and control your power demand to the engine/drive, for more economical drive. Also make it easier to stay in EV mode and attain and maintain glides and stealth. Makes it easier to prevent the engine from starting while driving around.

I leave it ECO mode all the time.

Besides, in a tight situation, if you press the pedal far enough you'll still get all she's got anyway. You just have to push further.

5. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use Eco when I'm driving strictly on city streets. When I am about to get on a freeway, I switch to Power for the acceleration needed to get on (east coast drivers don't usually slow down to let you on!). On the freeway I leave it on HV/EV. The manual says that if you drive below 62mph, then the car may stay on EV - my freeway driving here is by necessity over that limit at times, so the HV/EV setting is fine for that situation.
    I really do love those options.

6. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    All I note with any of the buttons is an increase in RPM. So PWR knocks the same depression up in the 3-4000 RPM range. ECO appears to do the opposite. From a steady depression, that switch will knock the RPM down to about 12-1500. Hardly scientific, but it's observational data at its best.