1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco mode not working right after service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cheapbyte, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Cheapbyte

Cheapbyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, I couldn't take it any more, I took my 2010 III Prius in for the oil/tire rotate and had them change the backup beep to one, how nice. Within three minutes of driving from the dealer, I knew something was different, it wasn't acting the same, in eco mode it acted more like power mode. I noticed my normal driving was giving me lower mileage, seems like the engine is running longer etc. I took it back and they said no way the beep change would have done that, yeah I agree, but something changed. When in eco mode, if I am running along at a low speed and step on it, it gets up like power mode almost, it never did that before. They had it a couple hours, ran full diagnostics on it, nope, nothing wrong. Anyone else experience something like this? It's almost like something go changed, upgraded to pep it up, yet it's yanked about 6-7 miles per gallon from me.

Help!

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If you can figure out how to toggle this mode on and off, I believe that a few people in this forum would be interested in adopting this mod.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does the ECO indicator light come on? Can you switch to PWR mode?

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is it possible that instead of using synthetic oil, they made the oil change using 5W30?
    That would certainly affect the mileage.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cheapbyte

Cheapbyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the Eco light is lit up, I can still switch to EV and Power mode. If I baby it in Eco mode, I can get about 44 MPG, where I could get 56, in normal modem I used to get about 44 MPG, now I am getting about 38. All this after having the dealer change the reverse beep to one. I think they glitched the computer, updated the code, something for sure but they say everything is normal. Yeah, I have been driving it for 5,000 miles, I think I know how the car acts and the MPG I should be getting. If nobody has any ideas, I guess I am stuck with a car now that gets only a little better than my Corolla.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you check the oil level? It's possible they over-filled it. Does your invoice state what grade oil they used? It's possible they put the wrong oil in and/or over-filled it, and this could be causing you a decrease as well.

It's also possible they left the car in ACC mode, draining the 12V battery, and your car is having to work extra hard right now to get it charged back up. You should also check the 12V battery and see what it says.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They've either over filled the oil AND/OR they've not used 0w20 oil.

Do a search for the many threads on how the wrong oil can seriously reduce your mpg's. The gen3/2010 Prius MUST use 0w20 oil but some dealers try and get away with using 5w30.

8. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you check to see if any of the brakes are sticking or not functioning properly. Or if the parking brake is somehow not releasing. Though it's hard to see how a tire rotation would do that, its worth a check.

Also I agree with Teakwood, confirm the type of oil as well.

Also did they install the oil filter backwards or something?

Also, this is shooting in the dark, but hopefully they didn't drain the transmission fluid and replace with engine oil? Supposedly the drains are close by. A newbie tech might be confused.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK. like the others have mentioned above, find out what oil they used. If they used their bulk 5W-20 demand that they redo it completely. The car specifies 0W-20.
    Assuming the correct oil, things should settle back to normal after a bit.

10. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jesus. I just checked my two oil changes and they've used 5W20.

I hate, hate, hate arguing with dealerships. :( What is the difference/penalty/damage of using the wrong oil?

-Iain

11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-5w20-vs-0w20-in-canada-2010-2011-models.html
    According to the above thread, in Canada they can use 5W20, though at a 5K interval.

It means you cold oil is thicker, so once it's warmed up there ought to be no difference.

In my mind 5W20 oil has fewer modifiers than 0W20, but I would ask one of the oil experts here on this forum on their opinion.

12. Cheapbyte

Cheapbyte New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Excellent suggestion from all. OK, I checked the work order, it does say 0-20 oil, did they really use it? not sure how I can tell. it does seem different than regular oil. It is at the right level, just a pinch above the top dot on the stick. OK, so to check the other suggestions now.

Thank you.

13. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How far have you driven it, and what level is the traction battery at? It will rev the engine more than usual to charge the traction battery when it's low; without a ScanGauge, I'd say 5 bars or less might make a noticeable difference if you're normally at 6 bars (which is where the car wants to be).

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From page 560 of the Canadian (and US) 2010 Prius Owner's Manual:

[​IMG]

Addendum:

Just to clarify: there is only one Owner's Manual, for both Canadian and US Prius customers, ie: the same book (and oil spec) is used in both countries. There are separate Owner's Manual Supplements for the two countries: but the only variation in them is the oil change interval.

16. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. BobCh

BobCh New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi. This just happened to me with my 2012 Prius Plug In 20,000 mile service. Did you find out what caused this Cheapbyte? Bringing car back to dealership tomorrow so any info will help. Just seems like ECO isn't working.

18. Umair90

Umair90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey same happened to my prius 2014. If you could find a Solution, do let me know please. I used 0-20w TOTAL Quartz Oil. Is that the reason it’s giving me such nightmares?

19. Polymath

Polymath Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just started experiencing this with my 2013 Prius III (82,000mi).
    Eco Mode's *light* is still on (green, on the left, not white on top of the performance part), but itit just *won't* run/engage.

And when I take my foot off the gas, it's like doubly sluggish and twice as into Charging regenerative braking before I even press the brake at all.

A battery thing??

20. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This sounds like you're in B position, not D. Engine braking...

CR94 likes this.