1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO Mode vs. Normal Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dmvp, Jun 17, 2009.

1. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed that many of you are saying you drive with ECO mode on almost all of the time. In the manual, it suggests that is the best setting for stop and go traffic. What I consider "stop and go" is being stuck on the interstate heading to down-town Chicago where you creep ahead 5 feet and then put the breaks back on.

My question would be, is it best to be in ECO mode when running to the grocery store, or a short 5 mile trip? What about a 9 hour, cross state trip?

I've been using the display with the ECO bars on it, but that seems to have nothing to do with being in ECO mode or not.

Help for this Noob?
    :confused:

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think an experienced driver of a hybrid can get the same fuel economy results out of using no mode at all vs using ECO mode ... I am not an expert, but I believe ECO mode just reduces the responsiveness of the accelerator AND reduces A/C maximum output if need be to maintain solid fuel economy (that's why it said stop and go traffic ... it will reduce the A/C usage a ton, so that the battery isn't drained so much by the A/C use and it can keep the engine shut off as much as possible).

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

:welcome: Welcome to the family... I too live in the western burb's of Chicago. Where are you?

I have been driving in ECO mode about 85% of the time, but do not think that I will drive in other modes unless I have passengers in the car. I tend to drive a little closer to the 'normal' speeds with passengers. That said, I am also a relative n00b to the 2010, but by keeping it this mode, I have been posting an average mpg of about 54 since I got the car 1500 miles ago.

1 person likes this.
  4. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you use the ECO mode even in the interstate at steady speed, say at 70MPH?

5. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In ECO mode, throttle response to aggressive acceleration is reduced and air conditioning control is adjusted to support better fuel economy. I have read that this mode can help the driver reduce fuel consumption by an additional 10-15%. I have been using ECO mode for a majority of my driving even on the interstate.

6. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, it's really further out than the burbs. Spring Grove to be exact. Where are you?

And thanks for your input, everyone!

:cheer2:

7. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, what do you mean by Normal mode? Is that the PWR mode or when you press the ECO mode for the second time?

Anyway I think I undestand how the ECO mode works, but what is the difference of the PWR vs. Normal mode?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Normal mode is when neither eco mode or power mode are selected.

Tom

9. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Egl, you have 1500 miles already? Do you even shut it off at that point? :D He lives in the Elmhurst/Villa Park/Addison area. I'll let him disclose his city if he wishes.

10. Indyking

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know but what is the difference between the two in fuel economy?

11. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I live in the car.

Actually, I it feels like I live in my office in the Chicago Loop nowadays, but I still pay
    mortgage and taxes in Villa Park.;) We did two trips two Indiana for fireworks, and a lot of cross town driving (far northwest burbs to far southwest burbs can add 140 miles roundtrip each time... Tomorrow will be two weeks with the car. That is an average of about 100 miles per day. As for shutting the car down, only when I 'Glide..." LOL

INDYKING,

Yes, I keep the car in ECO mode even on the interstate. Remember that if you use the upper end of the accelerator, you will get the same responsiveness regardless of the mode you are in. And the ECO mode is distinct from the other three modes of the car.

If you select no mode, it will be in "Normal", until you select either EV, ECO or PWR. In any of those three modes, you will see the mode name on the display above the speedometer. The absence of any of those three modes means you are in "Normal" mode.

3 people like this.
  12. B-Dog

B-Dog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use ECO mode about 80% of the time. I find it very helpful when pulse and gliding and general throttle control while in town. 99% I use it in conjunction with the hybrid system indicator. I seem to remember seeing a Toyota video where someone states a person can expect to see an increase of 3 MPG with the use of ECO.

I think the benefits of hwy driving in ECO is limited to the energy savings of the lower consumption AC while in this mode. During hwy travel I usually keep it in normal mode.

13. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From another newbie, I test drove the 2010 Prius yesterday, and found ECO mode very sluggish. Assuming that I buy (I think I will when the distributor allows more base models out), how do you use it to best advantage?
    I thought that Normal mode was PWR, but obviously I'm wrong. What didn't the salesman tell me that I should have been told (he was a newbie too--just being trained)? What's the difference between PWR and Normal?

14. greylar

greylar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think people are over-thinking the eco vs power vs normal mode. In a normal car when you push the pedal down half way you get half throttle (think old school cable). That would be normal mode on the Prius

But on the Pirus you have the option to change the way the pedal acts. In Eco mode you have to push down more than half way to get half throttle and In power mode it is reversed (push it down less than half way to get half throttle). Either way when you mat it to the floor you get full throttle. It it just feels sluggish in Eco mode because you have to push the pedal down a long ways before you start to get decent acceleration. It is more or less a trick to get people to not accelerate quite as hard.

I am leaving it in Eco mode since it has the added advantage of going easy on the A/C. As others have said someone that is paying attention should be able to get the same mileage in all modes. Switching modes (other than the A/C thing) just tricks you into driving different but doesn't change the fuel efficiency of the car.

What would really be helpful is to skip the econ /power modes and have an economy A/C button.

G

Peter Dayeh, CivicQc, Khaelo and 4 others like this.
  15. LoveMyPriusIII

LoveMyPriusIII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far I have not tried any mode other than Eco and EV. I have not babied my Prius and in the first three days commuting to work and back the trip computer shows 57.2mpg. This is compared to the 18 mpg I was getting on the same trip with my Buick LeSabre, more than triple the efficiency! I am overjoyed with this car and it really has plenty of power when I need it. Of course I haven't floored it but I do get it in the power area when I need reasonable acceleration. I couldn't believe the power when I was going 40mph and needed to hit it when the light turned yellow. My wife looked at me and was truly wowed. It felt like it went from 40-50 in about two seconds! Off the subject, and I really hate to say it, but the only con I have had personally with this car is the seat comfort. I haven't been able to find a consistently comfortable position yet and that is honestly my ONLY disappointment with this car thus far.

16. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in Buffalo Grove.

I have tried ECO mode a few times...what a dog. I might as well go out and push my Prius.

I leave my 2010 Prius IV in "normal" mode and am getting around 56 mpg on my first tank of gas.

BTW, I traded in my 2005 Prius and I really think the performance was better in that vehicle than in my 2010 Prius. I am a little disappointed, to say the least. The 2010 feels like it is way heavier and takes much longer to get from 0-50/55 mph than my 2005. Even with that being said, my mpg's are about 2 mpgs higher than my 2005 Prius (although my second to last tank of gas averaged an astounding 62 mpg's...something I never got close to on any tank in the four years I owned it...and yes I calculated the mileage...it wasn't just on the MFD panel.)

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. that's the button in the Camry Hybrid. The "ECO HEAT/COOL" button hidden down by the driver's left knee controls the climate control output.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I leave mine in ECO unless I need PWR for unprotected intersections or passing. The reduction in A/C is noticable, but also has a positively notable impact on battery longevity. Almost 57mpg on this tank with an average speed limit is 45mph is good enough reason for me.

19. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great post guys! I really thought that the ECO mode was too sluggish and I plan to keep it in normal mode for the most part. It's great to hear different experiences and I can't wait to get mine and have fun. Our ship should arrive the first week in July and I am hoping to get the guys to pump out my vehicle.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    FWIW, I don't own a 2010 Prius but from my 2 test drives at the March 2009 Prius Connection SF event, I concur that eco and EV mode DOES make the car feel very sluggish. But since I don't own one, I can't make a good judgement as to whether I could tolerate eco for most of my driving.