1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dr_rock, Jan 1, 2012.

1. dr_rock

dr_rock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've tried the Eco mode on my new Prius III. I'm not sure I've noticed much difference in MPG's. Are there recommendations that members can offer that go beyond the manual?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It takes effort to really notice differences, since matching comparison conditions can be a challenge.

On thing that is easy to detect... at least with an aftermarket gauge... is how ECO mode changes the engine shutoff time. The coolant temperature threshold is much lower when engaged. That works out great when you're dealing with the depths of winter.

For me, not having the engine start back up sooner when cruising along or waiting at a long stoplight here in Minnesota is great. When there's plenty of warm air coming from the heater, why start up the engine if it isn't really needed? The system approximates when more will be needed. You can tell it to delay by using ECO.

Specifically, the threshold is 145°F normally and 114°F with ECO.

1 person likes this.
  3. dr_rock

dr_rock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. My commute is 9 miles on highway, and 4 on city streets. I guess it will make sense to use ECO when in the city, and normal on the highway? I just got the car 2 days ago so I'm still learning about it.

4. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine stays on 24/7

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can just leave it on ECO mode all the time, I do (except when taking advantage of EV mode).

In the summer, ECO mode makes the A/C run more efficiently.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many days in a row do you drive? :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

7. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use Eco on the highway, and Normal in the city. Eco is great for driving without the cruise control on the highway, since it takes more pedal force to increase power than Normal does. So it's easier to increase or decrease my speed by small amounts. It's a lot easier to stay in the glide mode on a slight downhill with Eco.

In the city, I have to push the pedal too far when starting out in Eco, then in the middle, it hits that steeper part of the acceleration curve, and speeds up a bit too much.

[​IMG]

8. rcshaw777

rcshaw777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use ECO mode most of the time. I find that it charges the battery much quicker than it is at other modes.

Especially after leaving a multi-level parking complex, which resulted the battery is at the lowest point after travelling at Battery mode, at ECO mode it doesn't take long for the battery to be recharged to full level once it hit the road. However at Normal mode, it takes approximately twice longer. This is just my estimated judgement; I have never timed it but based on the travelling distance; it does seemed to take longer to recharge the battery.

9. hansgrason1

hansgrason1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try just leaving it on ECO, avoid fast starts off the line, and pay attention to the Hybrid indicator when in traffic/city. Before long you'll get a feel for how the engine works and for what driving habits yield the best mpg. As I have mentioned several times here on the forum, I am able to tweak out between 52-56 MPG during the summer months driving 25 miles to and from work. My commute is about 30% highway (where I am doing between 35-55 MPH) and 70% city (where I am doing 35 MPH or below).