1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO setting for air conditioner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by etyler88, Nov 8, 2007.

1. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had not heard about this. The HyCam airconditioner has a setting for more economical use.

"Because there are times when the gas engine shuts down completely to conserve fuel, Toyota engineers have designed the air conditioning and power steering systems to be driven electrically. There is also an ECO button which can control how much energy is being used by the climate control system."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/1...brid/index.html

Is the Prius in ECO all the time? I wonder if the Prius will be able to have upgrades by "reflashing" the computer, a software upgrade.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Nov 8 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]536829[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like the Prius AUTO/AC setting.

Camry Hybrid has an "ECO mode for the climate controls where unless the temperature selection is on absolute maximum, minimum, or front defrost setting the climate controls operate in a more efficient manner."

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's different. The ECO button on the TCH just limits the amount of juice drawn from the battery so the climate control won't turn the fan up too high or draw too much power from the battery to power the A/C compressor.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can pretty much get the same effect by asking for moderate
    cooling, and keeping the fan speed on the low side.
    _H*

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it also prevented the engine from running just to provide heat (or at least made it less prone to doing so).

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Nov 8 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]536935[/snapback]</div>
    less prone is more likely. I mean, I don't think it's gonna let you freeze your butt off.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Nov 8 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]536935[/snapback]</div>
    The engine does not have to run just to provide heat. There is an electric pump to circulate hot water to the climate control system when the ICE shuts off.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    But it does run just to provide heat. Try it for yourself - toggle the AC/AUTO button when the interior is significantly cooler than the target temperature, and the engine will stop and start.

If it wants to warm the coolant up to provide cabin heat, it will run the engine. If the coolant is already "warm enough" (however warm that is), it will leave the engine off. At least until the coolant gets cooler.