1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Economy from Phoenix to Flagstaff

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sonoran, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Sonoran

Sonoran New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I do not own a Prius but am seriously interested. This summer I will be driving from Phoenix to Flagstaff almost every week. Right now I am averaging about 26 MPG in my Nissan when I drive the 140 miles "up the hill" to Flagstaff. Even with a traditionally powered car I have learned the importance of highway speed, coasting & a light touch on the brakes to get better mileage.

What can I reasonably expect in a Prius on the highway? Are the hot summer temps in Phoenix hard on the batteries?

I am looking forward to doing the research & I appreciate any assistance I can get from this forum.

2. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live in Surprise and drove up to Payson last summer. I think I got 45-47mpg most of the way. Considering there are lots of hills to climb, not too bad!

You will find that when it gets hot and you use the AC, the mpg goes down a bit. Since it got cooler, I've been averaging slightly over 50mpg. But I expect when summer comes, that will go down a little.

3. HOVZOOM

HOVZOOM New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    In round numbers, a Prius would get double the mileage your Nissan does on that route. Obviously your gas cost in the Prius would then be 1/2 of the Nissan.

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It really depends on how fast and aggressive you drive on the freeway, so it could vary between 40 mpg to 60 mpg depending on the weight of your right foot.

40 mpg would be someone who drove 85 mph and 60 mpg would be someone who drove 55 mph.

You can probably expect to get ~45 mpg if you are fairly average. Either way, the improvement over your Nissan would be significant.