1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ecopia 422 (15") question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Andrax, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Andrax

Andrax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I put these on about 5 weeks ago and for the most part I am extremely pleased with the fuel economy boost (about 6 mpg) over the worn out oem's they replaced.

I can confirm the squishy sidewall feel when taking turns at speed. It's annoying, but tolerable. The biggest issue that I am trying to address is on the freeway. Around here, various parts of the freeway are grooved concrete sections with the grooves running vertically ( the direction of travel ). When driving over these sections at say 70mph it's similar to huge crosswinds blowing you side to side and requires ongoing correction to keep in your lane. It's a strange sensation.

This is only a problem on those particular grooved sections.. Is this something that could be mitigated with a change in tire pressure? If so, what pressure would you think? Presently running at 40 psi all around. If this isn't correctable, anyone know what Costco Tires return policy is? I picked up Bridgestone because it was the coupon at the time and $400 out the door was too good to pass up.

Any Suggestions much appreciated.

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is somewhat of a known issue with the EP422, and with many LRR tires. You can search the reviews on Tirerack and you will find that you are not alone in regards to this observation.

Personally, I gave up on these LRR tires altogether....

iPhone ? - now Free

3. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I purchased the EP422 before last winter. It's not the perfect tire but when you consider its performance at such price level, I don't think you can find something else that can beat that. There are always trade off in character of the tire no matter what brand you are going with. Satisfaction index must accompany with the price you paid.

Merkey likes this.