1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ecstatic with winter FE ... for now.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by NC_Prius, Jan 5, 2010.

1. NC_Prius

NC_Prius Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With all of the posts about low winter FE, I wanted to post a positive one. Not that my FE hasn't dropped some during the cold weather -- it has. But I just currently ran over 48.5 mpg (MFD) on my last tank with my commuting temps ranging from 19 degrees to the low-mid 30s every day. After filling up on my way home my mpg sits at over 55mpg after about 5 miles (engine warm, post-commute). I don't have an EBH or a blocked grill, so I'm pretty happy with these numbers. Even considering the lower "actual" mpg rather than what's on the MFD, I'm sure I'm at least meeting the EPA ratings. My commute is about 35 miles one-way, 1/4 city, 3/4 highway. I recently had an oil change and tire check to be sure the psi is at 42/44, and I keep the heater on the lowest setting (65 degrees), which, to me, is comfortable when it's bone-chilling cold out and I have my coat on.

I also found that I have less problems with the pump constantly shutting off if I fill up post-commute. Could the bladder warm up enough while driving that it impacts this?

I'm sure I will experience the same FE drops that others have at some point, so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.