1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECTunes adds sound to silent EVs, but only where and when you need it

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Sep 9, 2010.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ECTunes adds sound to silent EVs, but only where and when you need it (video) -- Engadget

ECTunes has developed a new and innovative technology, which provides electric and hybrid vehicles with sound. And it is not just the sound of an engine, a song or other already seen features. The new technology is unique in the way that sound is composed and designed to obviate the need for variation. When the EV moves forward, the sound is only in front of the vehicle -- as a warning to vulnerable road users that a vehicle is approaching and at the same time minimizing unnecessary noise on the sidewalk. The sound from the vehicle is depending on the direction, speed and acceleration of the vehicle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbRHcKP-bM&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ECTunes -- sound for electric and hybrid vehicles[/ame]

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've come to the observational conclusion that it doesn't matter how "intelligently" or well the noisemaker option is executed or applied...those against the idea are going to be against the idea.

I don't think the reality that the sound is created to eminate directionally is going to make a big difference to opponents of the concept. Nor would I imagine that this reality would be a big selling feature to those wishing to embrace this technology.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If we can have absolute total control then people might actually use it. Total control as in the sounds (ringtone if you will), volume setting for each directions, a switch to turn it completely off so we can sneak home without the wife waking up. I'd use it if I could change the sound to whatever I want. I'd change it to this.